oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Phobia of songs or tv programs... - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+--- Thread: Phobia of songs or tv programs... (/t-phobia-of-songs-or-tv-programs)

Phobia of songs or tv programs... - Jonnyjonny_uk - 11-17-2008 02:33 AM

As well know many phobias stem from something that happened during childhood and I have heard of some people having a phobia of a particular tv show or song that reminded them of things that happened around that time. Does anyone else have a phobia or anxiety when watching a particular tv program or listening to a song?

Re: Phobia of songs or tv programs... - inktellectual - 01-13-2009 04:59 AM

Yes, I have several songs that make me very upset. Xmas is very annoying because 'the little drummer boy' makes me very nervous Sad

Re: Phobia of songs or tv programs... - Jonnyjonny_uk - 01-13-2009 05:01 AM

Hiya Inktellectual and welcome to Ofear Wave

What is it about that particular song you don't like?

RE: Phobia of songs or tv programs... - nilrem43 - 03-14-2014 09:13 AM

(11-17-2008 02:33 AM)Jonnyjonny_uk Wrote:  As well know many phobias stem from something that happened during childhood and I have heard of some people having a phobia of a particular tv show or song that reminded them of things that happened around that time. Does anyone else have a phobia or anxiety when watching a particular tv program or listening to a song?

Yep, I do. After being traumatized as a todler, I acquired PTSD with my trigger being certain kinds of drum solos. Think Buddy Rich. If it's fast, harsh, and crazy, I have to leave (in a hurry). On the other hand, I could listen to steel drums and bongos all day. I guess the sound has to match very similar (lots of tight snare para-diddles, booming toms, and crashing cymbals). Unfortunately, most jazz & rock solos can sound quite similar. So, I guess you'd say any song that has that in it, can be a nasty trigger for me (fight or flight). Yep, it's very embarrassing. It can be really hard to trust those around you, because some people can be really mean.

Personally, I believe that most phobias are acquired during the formative years of childhood. They say the brain is in a certain state from ages 0 to 7 that allows neural connections to happen fast and permanent. When we're a child, we're frightened of many things that we don't understand and our fear is quite great. When a horrible fear is paired with certain stimuli, be it audio/visual/smell/taste/or touch, these connections can be made quite permanent. In many cases, the trauma can be so great that we can't even remember the event that created this connection (also very frustrating). This creates the seemingly irrational fears, but they are quite rational. One thing we need to remember is that these ingrained fears are not our fault. With time, therapy, &/or meds, we can deal with them (or at least tone it down).

Hope my post helps others. Doesn't matter if you're scared of sock puppets or "Pop Goes The Weasle", no phobia is beyond comprehension nor discussing.

Nilrem