oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Clowns Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+--- Thread: Clowns Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme (/t-clowns-phobia-clown-fears-thwart-festival-theme)

Clowns Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme - Jonnyjonny_uk - 10-25-2008 04:27 AM

Clowns Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme

Organisers of a music festival have had to change their fancy dress circus theme after some ticket holders told them they had a phobia of clowns.
The Bestival, which takes place on 8, 9 and 10 September near Newport, Isle of Wight, had asked festival-goers to turn up in curly wigs and large shoes.

But organisers decided to shelve the idea after a number of ticket holders said they suffered from Coulrophobia.

Revellers are still encouraged to wear fancy dress but to avoid clown outfits.

Organisers have suggested people instead turn up in "bunny ears, a Spam tin outfit, an astronaut's helmet, a witch's hat or just a plain old Buzz Lightyear lycra all-in-one" for the concerts which include performances by the Pet Shop Boys and the Scissor Sisters.

The Bestival, at Robin Hill Country Park, broke the Guinness World Record last year for the biggest fancy dress party when 10,000 people turned up dressed as cowboys and Indians.

Coulrophobia - fear of clowns - can cause panic attacks, shortness of breath, rapid breathing, irregular heartbeat, sweating, nausea and overall feelings of dread.

Source:BBC News

Re: Clown Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme - crystal-doll - 11-02-2008 02:55 AM

First of all I would never go to the circus, no way, but it's nice that they thought about people like me. I really HATE clowns, they scare the hell out of me. They are so grotesque, with all that make up, ewww gives me chills

Re: Clown Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme - Mr Ian - 11-02-2008 05:44 PM

Totally off the wall comment here from me but I wonder if it's the 'fakeness' of the make up that scares people?

We all know the make up is a mask that hides another face underneath - perhaps there's something about the 'misrepresentation' and 'secrecy' about the person behind the make up that scares us most?

Just a thought.

Re: Clown Phobia - Clown fears thwart festival theme - crystal-doll - 11-05-2008 09:33 AM

Mr Ian Wrote:Totally off the wall comment here from me but I wonder if it's the 'fakeness' of the make up that scares people?

We all know the make up is a mask that hides another face underneath - perhaps there's something about the 'misrepresentation' and 'secrecy' about the person behind the make up that scares us most?

Just a thought.

Yeah, that's exactly why they're scary. The "over the top" make up that is supposed to be funny, it's not; those grotesque expressions and the fact that you don't know who the hell is underneath, could be anyone like a killer or something besides they are disgusting, aren't they?