oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of talking on the Telephone - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: Fear of talking on the Telephone (/t-fear-of-talking-on-the-telephone)

Pages: 1 2

Fear of talking on the Telephone - Issy - 09-25-2008 07:09 AM

I've always been highly anxious about speaking on the Telephone. In the past i'd force myself to phone people. But now it's got so bad i can't call anyone (not even family) Oops

I need to make a dentist app & can't phone them to arrange it. (Mum isn't around to phone for me) Sad

anyone else share this fear ? How'd u cope with it ? My main fear is i'll stutter & make an idiot of myself ...

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Shinobi - 09-25-2008 07:40 AM

Yeah, I have the same problem. I can call close family like my parents, sisters and stuff..but that's about it..

I just cope by basically never using the phone sconfused and I'm the same, I'll have my mom or somebody else call for me..My main fear is probably the same as yours too, also I just never know what to say and will just reply "yes" or "no"..So yeah, I'd pretty much make an idiot out of myself.. sconfused

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Harold-L - 09-25-2008 07:59 AM

Yeah same here...I usually have my dad making my calls but he's started with the whole "you're 20 year olds now and you can't even make a simple phone call?" thingy so I pretty much avoid phonecalls even if they're important :roll:

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Shy guy - 09-25-2008 04:32 PM

Issy Wrote:I've always been highly anxious about speaking on the Telephone. In the past i'd force myself to phone people. But now it's got so bad i can't call anyone (not even family) Oops

I need to make a dentist app & can't phone them to arrange it. (Mum isn't around to phone for me) Sad

anyone else share this fear ? How'd u cope with it ? My main fear is i'll stutter & make an idiot of myself ...

Me too Issy, I usually go in person or e-mail, but if I have to make a phone call I usually stutter and make an idiot of myself...

Anyway this is what I have been doing to combat my fear:

1. Voice training using a free program called 'Audacity' (Thanks to Harold and Words for recommending it).

2. Relaxation exercises and standing up so one's diaphragm can move freely...

3. Role playing being on the phone with a friend. (We actually started off using skype as I was too mean to pay for a real phone call, but in the end we found ringing from mobile (in another room) to landline worked best.

4. With the dentist you can always get away with pretending that is what you are nervous about rather than the phone call. While I do not condone lying, sometimes people are more willing to accept a white lie than hear the truth about telephone-a-phobia. (Especially as it isn't in the Wikipedia :laugh: )

Hope this helps. happy3

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Mr Ian - 09-25-2008 09:52 PM

You lot should swap phone numbers and talk to each other.

I'm being serious!

Who else better to understand? You can role play different types of calls: social, family, business, pizza.

Failing that - give me your numbers... I'll call ya :O

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - brokeninpieces - 09-25-2008 09:56 PM

i struggling a lot with calling people i normally avoid phoning people.

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - sirius)(black - 10-09-2008 06:03 AM

yea, i have trouble calling someone too, my heart races, and i always start pacing in circles when i'm on the phone with someone(annoys my mum often XD)

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Globetrotter - 10-09-2008 08:49 AM

I got annoyed the other day when one of my parents pointed out a job advert to me. When I mentioned how much I hate using the phone, they said 'All you've got to do is pick up the phone and talk to the them!'.

If only having SP was that simple! :laugh: :laugh:

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Harold-L - 10-09-2008 09:18 AM

Yeah I love it when people come with great advice like that :laugh: :laugh:

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Shinobi - 10-09-2008 11:05 AM

Just a while ago I answered the phone and hung it up on purpose just because the ringing was annoying.

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Harold-L - 10-09-2008 07:26 PM

I've done that too...but I almost feel guilty after doing it :laugh:
I hate it when you're trying to ignore the phone but the person calling just refuses to give up!! :laugh:
riiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing RIIIIIIIIIIIING
rawr ssleepy

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - brokeninpieces - 10-11-2008 06:24 AM

i hate that, it gets on my nerves

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - Shinobi - 10-11-2008 08:04 AM

I don't feel guilty at all.. :laugh:
it's not like it's for me anyways.. sconfused

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - mauerbluemchen - 10-11-2008 09:30 AM

I can call family and friends' mobiles (not the landline, omg WHAT if their parents or siblings answer?!!), but always get my mum to phone for anything else...but now I'm 17 she gets REALLY angry when I ask her....Like last week when I needed to go to the hairdresser (that's bad enough in itself anyway, they make small talk and stand really close and insult your old hairstyle and tell you everything you're doing wrong with your hair) she yelled at me, and I said I didn't know what to ask for. So she yelled at me again and asked why I even wanted to go then. But I don't know what to ask for; what if I say I want it cut and then they just ask me more questions?! :shock:

Re: Fear of talking on the Telephone - crystal-doll - 10-31-2008 10:12 AM

Issy Wrote:I've always been highly anxious about speaking on the Telephone. In the past i'd force myself to phone people. But now it's got so bad i can't call anyone (not even family) Oops

Me too!!! I haven't called anyone for a long time, I let them call me. I'm afraid of being rejected or something Oops , I can't handle rejection.. makes me feel depressed. :cry: :cry: