oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
I couldn't help but asking... - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: OCD & HOCD (/f-ocd-hocd)
+--- Thread: I couldn't help but asking... (/t-i-couldn-t-help-but-asking)

I couldn't help but asking... - nour - 11-04-2009 02:31 AM

Well here's the story, I'm not obsessed with anything, but the other day my friend tells me that he suffers from a certain form of OCD, which made re-think my strange attitude (if I shall say!)
My problem is this: I have to wash my hands whenever I eat something or touch something, because if I don't, I wouldn't use my hands even if my life depends on it! I'm talking here in a case where my hands don't get dirty, but I can't help but thinking that if I touch something I will spoil it with my dirty hands. And I start smelling my hands. It's weird, because I see some friends who eat with their fingers and then use the mouse pad of my laptop without even having the thought of washing their hands or that they might be spoiling the mouse pad with their dirty hands! But when it comes to me, I would use my feet instead of my hands if I suspect they're not clean.
So what's my problem? Is it OCD?
I wouldn't mind if it is, I already suffer from lepidopterophobia, but I just want to know what is it.
I would really appreciate your comments! :mrgreen:

Re: I couldn't help but asking... - Ana - 11-04-2009 06:09 AM

Honestly nour, I doubt you have OCD. stongue OCD is much more complex than just one 'compulsion' or one thing that bothers someone (such as what you mentioned). From what I understand, it's 'the norm' for everyone to have the odd characteristic or habit that could be seen as something related to OCD. As I said though, OCD is much more complex than just one thing like that.

Your fear of having dirty hands seems to be a common one. stongue Lots of people are very paranoid about the cleanliness of their hands. Your fear might be a bit extreme, but I don't think it's completely uncalled for.

Re: I couldn't help but asking... - nour - 11-04-2009 06:39 AM

Thank you Ana! :laugh:
I didn't want to believe it's OCD, but when my friend came up with the subject it kinda rang a bell about this!
well thanks again!

Re: I couldn't help but asking... - Ana - 11-04-2009 06:43 AM

Well, I'm not saying that it's most definitely not OCD. stongue I suppose it could be. It just doesn't sound like it to me.

Re: I couldn't help but asking... - nour - 11-04-2009 06:53 AM

Actually I don't know much about OCD, but I know what it is!
So you're being helpful, in a way or another! shappy