oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Trotting Along.... - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Community (/f-community)
+--- Forum: oFear Members Diary (/f-ofear-members-diary)
+--- Thread: Trotting Along.... (/t-trotting-along)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Trotting Along.... - Globetrotter - 09-16-2009 07:18 AM

[center]UPDATES WILL BE MADE ON A VERY ERRATIC BASIS :mrgreen:[/center]

[center]COMMENTS ARE WELCOME happy7 happy7[/center]

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 09-16-2009 07:25 AM

Yesterday I had my annual eye test. Although I had a bit of anticipatory anxiety beforehand, it was nowhere near as bad as I get for dental appointments (next one coming up in a month’s time :shock: ).

I guess what didn’t help with yesterday’s appointment was the fact that when I made it a few weeks ago, I agreed to an afternoon one (which I immediately regretted, but social anxiety put me off from ringing them back up and changing it!).

I always much prefer to have appointments first thing in the morning, otherwise I tend to stew in my juices until the time.

I’ll never forget doing something very silly at the opticians a good few years ago now. If you’d like me to share it (assuming someone has bothered to read this(!)), please give a reverse answer to what you really want. stongue

Re: Trotting Along... - Harold-L - 09-16-2009 07:36 AM

Reverse...answer...you lost me! scry
I always enjoy a good awkward story to keep my mind off my own awkwardness though, so please do share :twisted:

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 09-24-2009 07:43 AM

What I meant by a reverse answer was that no really meant yes, and yes really meant no. Basically it was me just talking nonsense (which I intend to do every now and again on this thread! toothy9).

Anyway here it is:

I was in the middle of having an eye examination a good few years ago and he asked me to open wide. You know what I went and did? I ended up opening my mouth wide open! Upon realising my mistake he corrected me and stared at me very coldly, just as if I was the biggest idiot in the world.

Despite having social anxiety, I can't say there's been that many occasions where I've wanted the ground to swallow me up, but on this occasion...

Re: Trotting Along... - Harold-L - 09-24-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:What I meant by a reverse answer was that no really meant yes, and yes really meant no. Basically it was me just talking nonsense (which I intend to do every now and again on this thread! toothy9).
And I intend to get confused each time scool

Quote:Anyway here it is:

I was in the middle of having an eye examination a good few years ago and he asked me to open wide. You know what I went and did? I ended up opening my mouth wide open! Upon realising my mistake he corrected me and stared at me very coldly, just as if I was the biggest idiot in the world.

Despite having social anxiety, I can't say there's been that many occasions where I've wanted the ground to swallow me up, but on this occasion...
I'm....sorry for laughing but that's hilarious :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I would have died if I were you in that situation! :laugh: :laugh:

It's easy to do stupid things like that during anxiety though, you're not alone with that. This is a perfect example of how anxiety can make us look much dumber than we really are :laugh:

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 10-11-2009 08:07 AM

I'm currently reading a self help book I've waited a long time to get my hands on. I'm 100 pages into 'Diagonally Parked In A Parallel Universe', and what do I think of it so far?

Well put it this way, I'm glad that I've read plenty of other self help books in the past and also that I did A-level Psychology, otherwise I think I would be struggling! Signe Dayhoff seems to talk to you as if you're a medical professional rather than an ordinary human, and therefore it isn't an easy read so far.

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 10-26-2009 02:32 AM

Not the best of weeks for me.

In town, I think I saw a friend who I've known for years and haven't seen for a couple, heading in my direction. On realising this, I abruptly swerved in the other direction so that I would actively avoid him. I guess one of the major issues I did this was because I hadn’t a clue what I would of said to him - what do you say to someone that’s the same age as you, but is so much further ahead in life?

Actively avoiding someone I've know for years got me thinking that when it comes to social anxiety, how the unimaginable/ unacceptable can become the imaginable/ acceptable.

I also had a dentist's appointment. :shock: The actual appointment itself wasn’t too bad, but the anticipatory anxiety I had beforehand was a killer. ANTICIPATORY ANXIETY IS MY WORST ENEMY! :evil:

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 12-22-2009 09:28 AM

Wow, I can't believe that Christmas is nearly here! ssurprised

I love Christmas, but I would enjoy it even more if I had a job to go back to, instead of relying on what's left of my savings. :roll:

It's been two and a half years since I last worked, and to be honest, I'm absolutely sick to death of people I know asking me whether I've got a job yet!!! angryfire Last week, I even had a Christmas card with a PS message, asking that very question!

I finished 'Diagonally Parked In A Parallel Universe' about two weeks ago, and although a few bits were very useful/ insightful, it was a disppointing book and definitely not recommended as a SA sufferer's first self-help book!! Frankly, the Dr Richards CBT series has done more for me than any thing I've tried through the years (and I've tried a lot!).

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 12-31-2009 09:11 AM

I hate it when XMAS Day comes and goes - I tend to feel so low afterwards.

This year's lowness hasn't been helped by a few arguments with my elderly parent. Sometimes I really do get the impression that on an unconscious level at least, they try their best to maintain the social anxiety in me so that I basically stay at home with them.

On a more lighter note, on Monday I decided to slip and fall onto my backside right in the middle of the street! :laugh: (Up until that point, I had been doing so well at coping with the icy pavements and roads). Ironically when the slip did happen, the vast majority of the ice had been in retreat!

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 06-10-2010 10:07 AM

Another birthday has come and gone... :roll:

Re: Trotting Along... - Ana - 06-10-2010 11:08 AM

Globetrotter Wrote:Another birthday has come and gone... :roll:

Happy birthday Globetrotter. shappy

Did you not have a good birthday?

Re: Trotting Along... - Harold-L - 06-12-2010 02:33 AM

Oh it was your birthday! I missed it ssurprised

Happy belated birthday dude! shappy

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 06-13-2010 08:39 AM

Thanks you two! happy7

It was a pretty good day, although birthdays are always mixed affairs for me.

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 06-30-2010 09:47 AM

I think it’s about time for another proper entry. shappy

It’s hard to believe that it’s now been three years since I last did any paid work. If I had a crystal ball, there’s no way that I would of chosen to have been made voluntary redundant at my last job.

The thing with spending so much time at home when you’re unemployed, is that something like social anxiety has a habit of closing in on you, and it’s certainly done that with me! Also what doesn’t help, is living with an elderly parent who offloads all their worries and anxieties onto you, and has a horrible habit of unnecessarily falling out with the people in our street. It makes things even more harder (when they’re already flamin well hard enough as they are!).

Goodness knows what I’m going to do when my savings completely run out. Hopefully something will turn up by then. :roll: What gives me a little hope is that things can unexpectedly change - I remember watching a documentary about New Zealand a few years ago, half heartedly wondering at the time whether some day I might actually get round to visiting there. Guess where I was a few months later! shappy happy7 shappy

Re: Trotting Along... - Globetrotter - 09-10-2010 10:11 PM

Four flaming times this week I've been reminded of how other people are getting on with their lives (one marriage, one dream job, two babies). It makes me feel so backward!

Changing the subject, I found it so weird how my mood can vary so much in a single day!