oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Hi, I'm new and I need advice - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Welcome to oFear The Online Fear & Phobia Forum (/f-welcome-to-ofear-the-online-fear-phobia-forum)
+--- Forum: Introductions (/f-introductions)
+--- Thread: Hi, I'm new and I need advice (/t-hi-i-m-new-and-i-need-advice)

Hi, I'm new and I need advice - Starmongoose - 09-15-2009 01:02 PM

Hi,

Well i'm 18 years old and I recently moved home (and country) to live with my partner in Ireland. He has known I have had a fear of clowns since pretty much the relationship started. Anyway, he seems very interested and curious about my phobia and he keeps bringing it up, mostly while we are in bed getting ready to sleep.

However that's not the problem tonight, he did bring up clowns again while we were getting ready to sleep,but I think I have had some sort of flashback or glimps into a memory I had forgotten. It involved a rather scary clown that gave me an awful feeling of deja vu.

I can't tell if it's from a dream, a movie, a cartoon or real life. All I can tell is that it's something I saw from my childhood. Now I'm feeling very stressed, paranoid and edgy. I can't help the feeling that the clown is behind me, or at the foot of the bed, or right infront of my face if I close my eyes.

I just can't shake the feeling. Doing anything seems to be difficult when I know it shouldn't and it's stupid. For instance I'm scared to go to the bathroom because I fear when I flick the lightswitch on there is going to be a clown waiting for me. Or if I need a drink there is a clowns head in there.

My phobia has never bothered me to this degree before and I'm scared about what memory I have supressed.
What can I do? I never thought my phobia was this bad.

Thank you,

Starmongoose

Re: Hi, I'm new and I need advice - nour - 09-15-2009 09:13 PM

Hi Starmongoose, welcome to Ofear Wave

We all know that it's very hard dealing with a phobia, or any kind of severe anxiety, and having someone that keeps on bringing the subject, isn't very helpful.
Since you are very open with your partner, and he knows and understands that you fear clowns, try telling to stop asking you about this specific subject, it can help you in the long run.
Furthermore, try seeing a doctor, it helps a lot trust me. You'll get pills that helps you with your anxiety and shortly after, you'll be kind of cured.

Oh and the flashback seems to be the reason why you fear clowns, it's certainly because of that image you get out of nowhere. You can see it as if your brain is trying to manifest signs.

I'm not that much of an expert after all, hopefully I helped.
Good luck!

Re: Hi, I'm new and I need advice - Jonnyjonny_uk - 09-15-2009 10:05 PM

Hiya Starmongoose and a very warm welcome to Ofear Wave