oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of pencils - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+--- Thread: Fear of pencils (/t-fear-of-pencils)

Fear of pencils - conner - 02-18-2008 11:38 AM

sconfused What is a fear of pencils called?

Re: pencils - labyssum - 02-18-2008 01:32 PM

Oh wow.
I've never heard of that fear! :shock:

Re: pencils - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-18-2008 06:21 PM

Hiya Conner and a very warm welcome to Ofear Wave

Im not actually sure it has a recognised name to be honest. Do you suffer from this fear then?

Re: pencils - Mr Ian - 02-18-2008 10:50 PM

conner Wrote:What is a fear of pencils called?

There's a specific one called Shakespearophobia - but that would depend on whether the pencil was "2B or not 2B"... confused1

More seriously...

There doesn't seem to be one - but it would depend on the nature of the fear.
aichmophobia Fear of knives and other sharp objects.
aichurophobia Fear of being touched by pointed objects.

However, if it was simply a fear of 'a pencil' as an object - as opposed to what it might do or that it was sharp object - then I would suggest the following:
University of Notre Dame gives this Latin definition for pencil:
http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl?pencil

penicillus -i m. [a painter's brush or pencil; style].

Ergo, I propose, "penicillophobia".

Ian

Re: pencils - conner - 02-19-2008 04:14 AM

Actually I'm just can't use pencils or it gives me goosebumps and when I am forced to I only ever use mechanical but 98% of the time i use pen and I have about 20 other phobias.

Re: pencils - Mr Ian - 02-19-2008 09:39 AM

That's a pretty unusual one conner.

Any particular reason you know of?

Re: pencils - epode - 08-28-2008 07:36 AM

OH MY GOODNESS!

I have a phobia of pencils too! i didnt think i would find anyone else with the same problem!!!

Re: pencils - Niktoria - 09-07-2008 06:50 PM

What is it about the pencils that scare you the most? Is it what the pencils do, or the looks of them, shape?

Re: pencils - Jonnyjonny_uk - 11-20-2008 05:08 AM

epode Wrote:OH MY GOODNESS!

I have a phobia of pencils too! i didnt think i would find anyone else with the same problem!!!

Have you had any progress with your fear of pencils?

Re: Fear of pencils - Eric - 05-14-2009 07:11 AM

I HATE pencils. just the sound they make I you use them, and the overall feel of them makes me cringe.

Re: Fear of pencils - rdog157h - 05-14-2009 11:05 AM

I dont have a fear of pencils per se, but I have always hated using them. To me its like running fingernails on a chalkboard, mechanical pencils are worse to me because sometimes the flat tip catches the paper and squeaks. Eww getting chills thinking about it!! I will flat out refuse to use a pencil now that I am an adult and if someone hands me one to sign something I will ask for a pen, I bring a pen when I go golfing as well! Glad to know I am not the only one cause everyone I tell looks at me like I am an idiot!

RE: Fear of pencils - lars331 - 04-05-2016 06:51 AM

I too have this strange and real fear of wooden pencils. It does not matter if these pencils are sharpened or not. I cannot stand the sight, smell, or touching them. I will discretely throw them away if I see them and sanitize the area the pencil was in. If I see someone using one I will try to stay away from touching their stuff or shaking their hand. I will wash my hands if that happens. I have no problems with mechanical pencils, only wooden ones. I have no other fears but this one drives me crazy and I have not told anyone about this in my 49 year life until now. Thank you for sharing and it is good to see that I am not the only person like this!

RE: Fear of pencils - lollary - 09-16-2016 06:11 AM

Oh, I can't believe that I found people who also have pencil phobia. My 13 year old son developed this about a year ago. He can't touch or use any pencils (mechanical as well) , get really upset if someone next to him uses it and wash his hands till they are raw if he ever comes in contact with pencils. It's really a problem since he is in school , where pencils are everywhere..... He is seeing a therapist , who does exposure treatment, but so far, no real results.
I want to ask people who also have it, what is the most helpful in treatments? Did you ever get rid of this fear or can you control it? How? Can hypnosis really help? We are trying everything but medication at this point.... thanks for any info.

RE: Fear of pencils - Warkinious - 08-04-2018 06:09 PM

(02-18-2008 11:38 AM)conner Wrote:  sconfused What is a fear of pencils called?

Omg I don’t forum much so I hope this works. Connor has the phobia?Whoever has the phobia of the sound and feel of pencils, Wow! I didnt know I would ever meet anybody else with this phobia. As long as I can remember I have had goosebumps or grinding teeth when pencil and paper collide. It’s hard for me to sit at my table during trivia because You can’t erase pen. When someone I know hears about they are amazed by how nonsensical it sounds. There is no name for the phobia of the shattering lead when it reaches its destination. I am giddy that I’m not alone in this battle and if anybody wants to chat about it I would love to pick your brain.
Sincerely yours