oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Dental phobia (/f-dental-phobia)
+--- Thread: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? (/t-how-long-did-you-wait-before-finally-seeing-the-dentist)

Pages: 1 2

How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-10-2008 11:11 PM

Its been 20 years for me and I still havent been. What about you?

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - labyssum - 02-11-2008 04:52 AM

Four years.
And I had TONS of cavaties because of it. =[

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - kateyjake - 02-18-2008 02:33 AM

About 10 years, but found a dentist who helped people with dental phobias, sadly hes retired now. Going to a new one now, but going in 2 weeks for a filling which i haven't had for ages, can anyone say whether it hurts much etc, dont want to have a panic attack when i'm there if its to painful.

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Itchybiscuit - 02-27-2008 05:58 PM

:shock: 20yrs wow..well last time was 2yrs ago and he took 10x to rip out this back tooth i had, I ended up almost hitting him, so i got up walked out took 20min to compose myself went back said you have 1 more go thankfully he got it or i woulda had to go to the ER :frown:: :frown:: was so traumatic i havnt been again and avoiding it

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - melly1002 - 02-28-2008 02:27 AM

i went 8 years without seeing a dentist i finnaly got the courage 2 go 2 one andf she was fantastic i only needed 2 fillings and i didnt even need a injection 4 that as they was only small ones.i still dont like them though its the noise the equipment make but it is getting quiter.i never use 2 like the smell eather but now i spray my expensive perfume on my top so all i can smell is that.

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - takehopeoverfear - 02-04-2009 12:36 AM

It has been over 20 years since I have seen a dentist and I REALLY need to see one, but I have waited so long and have a lot of work that needs to be done and I am really SCARED! I just hate the thought of spending hours in the chair having my teeth done. Does hypnosis work? Or desensitization? Or exposure therapy? Or drugs? I don't know what to do to get myself to the dentisit. I think I have one that is willing to work with phobics, in fact they will sedate me if needed(although doubt my insurance will pay for it). Anybody who has successfuly conquered the fear of dentists please let me know how you did it!!!

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Mr Ian - 02-05-2009 09:36 PM

Hi takehopeoverfear and welcome to oFear Wave

Nice nick ssmile

Even tho some of us have cause to have a rational fear of dental work (it can be uncomfortable - I don't think it's rational to put yourself through unnecessary pain or discomfort!) - so the fears aren't irrational in the phobic sense - but it's all the same anyhow - anxiety that prevents you going to the dentist.

I'd look for a dentist in your area - and when you book in, tell them you have a dentist-phobia and ask what can they do to help.
If they offer you something in ways to overcome your fear - that's good and try them out. I'd recommend paying them a visit before treatment just to talk through the anxiety and the process. You can often go in more than once and do things in a few shorter visits rather than one long one.
Often people agree to do this but then find the actiual treatment isn't so bad - and the dentist might have given you some extra time in case you were agreeable to carry on - so it's all about working it out with the dentist.

If, however, you call and they say - oh we're simply fantastic and you don't need to worry, we'll book you in for 3 hours next Monday .... call another one. ;]

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - takehopeoverfear - 02-06-2009 02:06 AM

Thanks for the advice. The thing is I don't want to go to the Dentist. I need to go but I don't want to go. I dread having all this work done. I know I should be motivated because bad teeth can become infected and make me sick or worse! I just have this tremendous fear blocking my way. Is hypnosis helpful? How do I see going to the dentist as a positive thing? I just don't want to do this and now that i need to. I really wish they had special places where I could be assured that the dentist would know how to treat such a patient as me. It is the uncertainty of the situation that is wreaking havoc. I have troubles socially and trying to find a dentist and talk over things is difficult. I panic easily and am shy and not very assertive. I guess I need a whole new way of thinking. I really don't know what to do.

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - kitty61 - 02-06-2009 03:23 AM

You all are not alone. I have a phobia to dentist since I was a child. My mom went to a dentist that didnt use novacane to numb the area before he filled or extracted teeth. He trained in the army. We as a child that was a tramatic experience that hasnt left me. I have had to go to many dentists I have soft teeth but fear them so there is many years between. I broke my front tooth 5 years ago and I know I need to go its getting bad and I have a really bad broken one in the back as well. When I do go just like when I am to get a shot ( needle ) I try to hold my car keys and I mean really tight the pain that comes from them in my hand overcomes the rest cause that is all I concentrate on. But I myself need to make an appointment wish me luck sconfused

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Mr Ian - 02-06-2009 10:18 PM

takehopeoverfear Wrote:Thanks for the advice. The thing is I don't want to go to the Dentist. I need to go but I don't want to go. I dread having all this work done. I know I should be motivated because bad teeth can become infected and make me sick or worse! I just have this tremendous fear blocking my way.

Well if you don't want to go - don't go.

Which will be worse: Going to the dentist or becoming sick and infected?

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Rick61701 - 02-25-2009 03:35 AM

takehopeoverfear,

Hypnosis is very effective for dealing with fears. Some of the dentists in my area do hypnosis themselves to help their clients.

Rick

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - ToAshamedToSay - 04-06-2009 08:04 AM

i dont trust you to carry on with this scry

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Mr Ian - 04-06-2009 08:53 PM

Why would it be wrong to post about it? Especially here ... a phobias and fears forum. sbiggrin

So what's the chance of the infection coming back?

And can you remember what the pain felt like?

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - ToAshamedToSay - 04-07-2009 12:59 AM

Mr Ian Wrote:Why would it be wrong to post about it? Especially here ... a phobias and fears forum. sbiggrin

So what's the chance of the infection coming back?

And can you remember what the pain felt like?

1, i feel like am going to be judge and make fun of Sad true

2, ive had infection's more than once Oops so yes they will come back Oops

3, yes i can remember the pain,dont you ??????
it dont matter now, no more said plz scry

Re: How long did you wait before FINALLY seeing the dentist? - Mr Ian - 04-07-2009 07:47 PM

Hey sorry TATS if I came over a bit strong or pushy with the questions.
If you do want to talk about it - feel free to pm me anytime. I'm not here to judge anyone or to make them feel bad about themselves.

But to reassure you - no one on here judges anyone else. They're not allowed. It's the Law around here. scool

And Ana angel11 , Harold-L :twisted: , Bermudah sdrool and a few others - as well as our host and High Sheriff, jonnyjonny icon_rr - are the law enforcers.

So it's all in good hands. ssmile