oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
When did it start? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Agoraphobia & Panic Disorder (/f-agoraphobia-panic-disorder)
+--- Thread: When did it start? (/t-when-did-it-start)

Pages: 1 2

When did it start? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-06-2008 02:40 AM

Agoraphobia typically affects women and begins in early adulthood but when did it start for you?

Re: When did it start? - anxiousbookworm - 02-06-2008 03:37 AM

My agoraphobia officially began when I was 17 years old.

Re: When did it start? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-06-2008 03:44 AM

Have you any idea what started it or is it a mystery?

Re: When did it start? - anxiousbookworm - 02-06-2008 05:21 AM

Jonnyjonny_uk Wrote:Have you any idea what started it or is it a mystery?

Well, I have always had anxiety but it was not that big of a problem until I was 14 years old. That was when I began to get bullied at school by both classmates as well as teachers, and my "friends" started to leave me out. 17 years old was when I started to skip school a lot because I just could not handle going and felt more safe at home. I did not want to deal with the people there. I absolutely hated going and felt quite terrified of facing everyone. I was always nervous about becoming embarrassed, stuttering, talking in class, people making fun of me, etc. My mom never knew that I skipped because she was at work and I made sure that I only skipped so that I could get away with it. She knows a bit about it now though. Anyways, I am guessing that all of the bullying and the loss of my "friends" were what eventually caused me to be even more anxious and agoraphobic.

Re: When did it start? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-06-2008 05:34 AM

Thanks for your detailed reply. I was pretty similar to you as far as school goes and I just felt that I didnt fit in, I wasnt cool enough. I always used to come home at lunchtime even though it took me 15 mins to walk home, but getting away for even a short time was good. Going back after lunch was the hardest part and I was always wanting to stay at home in the afternoons. Im lucky enough not to suffer from anxiety or agoraphobia but I know how you was feeling at school.

Re: When did it start? - Lolly - 02-06-2008 07:28 AM

My agoraphobia started when I was 17 also.

Re: When did it start? - Ana - 02-07-2008 10:22 AM

My Agorophobia started about a year ago.

Re: When did it start? - BlackLily - 02-22-2008 06:51 AM

My Agoraphobia started when I was 15, after I was attacked by 3 girls which left me in a metal neck brace as they broke 3 vertebrae in my neck. This happened half way through the school year so I had to stay at home. I was petrified of going outside & didn;t go out for months. My Mam started getting me out of the house so I would only go with her to places. I started back in school at the start of the next school year in the September. I was fine but after a few weeks I started becoming anxious & having panic attacks as I was havng alot of hassle from people in school as there was rumours going round why I was off school for so long. I ran out of school & only went back to do my GCSE exams.

For a year after I left school I hardly left the house. I started college & finished a course & found a great job but the anxiety started again so I had to give up work. In this time I met my ex boyfriend & had my oldest daughter. After she was born he became extremely violent & tortured me mentally & physically. After one too many visits to hospital because he was using me as a human punch bag I got the police involved & found the courage to kick him out of my home.

I had my freedom bak & started going out with friends to dance events & unfortunately I started dabbling with recreational drugs. I loved the feeling the gave me as I couldn't remember when I had felt that happy before. Over the next 18 months it was a downward spiral as my depression & anxiety got worse. I gave the drugs up as I could see what they were doing to me. AT this time I met the boyfriend who I am with now & he helped me get off drugs.

Since I gave up the drugs 18 months ago, my anxiety have got much worse. I became Agoraphobic again & very depressed. I blame myself for the way I am because of stupidly taking drugs (even though I think alcohol is has much worse effects).

Back in December I was officially diagnosed. I have been suffereing for 8 years though.

Re: When did it start? - Itchybiscuit - 02-27-2008 05:45 PM

I think badly after life event's trauma's all in a space of 2years

Re: When did it start? - anxifree - 03-15-2008 03:48 PM

Agoraphobia starts after I get my first panic attack, maybe 1 week after.

Re: When did it start? - MrsKiki - 03-21-2008 10:57 PM

I believe it started for me at around 18.. but I think my Agraphobia is "picky" because I can go out and be in social situations but I cant be anywhere with HUGE crowds, like the subway train...omg.. I freak out. Trapped underground with thousands of people with nowhere to go.

Re: When did it start? - snowbunnie82 - 04-01-2008 02:18 PM

It started about a year ago while i was driving. i think i've got "picky" agoraphobia also , because i never get panicky in social settings, but when I get in a car to go somewhere wether i'm driving or not, i panic and it's horrible. If I'm in a passenger in a car, when we come to a stoplight or driving on a highway(where my first panic attack happened), i panic and want to get(or jump) out of the car. I don't like going places unless I have to. It's terribly embarrassing and feel no one understands. I do better when I'm driving, but I dread someone else driving Oops Anyone else experience derealization?
Kathi

Re: When did it start? - BlackLily - 04-01-2008 06:45 PM

Hi Kathi.

I suffered with depersonalization a few months back. It was really scary & when I was put on meds it started to calm down.
That's really bad that you panc when you drive. s there an alternative way of transportation you can use because that sounds really scary!!

Re: When did it start? - mizfiesta - 04-02-2008 03:48 AM

My agoraphobia was triggered by panic attacks which I guess began at the ripe old age of 19 - the fear of having more panic attacks made me avoid situations - and so it all began. I have fought long and hard and at 37 years old I lead a relatively normal life but I also have 'picky' agoraphobia. Anywhere more than 20 miles or so from my home, especially on motorways (even when someone else drives) is difficult. You would never guess I had this condition and outwardly I am perceived to be a confident person - but there is a part of me that feels like a lost child when away from the safety of my home. And I also have days where I still feel dodgy going to the supermarket etc. I find that the day after I have maybe been out drinking alcohol and have a hangover are my worst day and I feel on edge all day.

Re: When did it start? - snowbunnie82 - 04-02-2008 11:21 AM

yeah the derealization is what initally starts off the panic. I really don't panic as much if i'm driving, but it's mainly when i am a passenger. It's gotten to the point where i have a strong urge that I want to jump out of the car(I never in my life would though) I mean it feels that awful i would rather jump out and break a leg or something than stay in the car 2 more seconds. How was it that you overcame that feeling? Unfortunately i don't live in a town to where a bus or subway would even be an option, we are too small. I just don't understand how there are days where i can be on the highway and stuff and not panic, but there are other days i panic just driving to work. scry I really don't want to be put on meds or anything, so finding an alternative to meds is where it's at for me.

Kathi