oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Community (/f-community)
+--- Forum: oFear Kitchen (/f-ofear-kitchen)
+--- Thread: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar (/t-if-you-ever-find-yourself-in-a-valencian-bar)

If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Harold-L - 08-06-2009 10:40 PM

Order a Horchata! :twisted:
Its a tigernut based drink that is just...more than delicious! I cant get enough of it :laugh:

[Image: orxata-drink-recipe.jpg]
! shappy

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Barrucadu - 08-07-2009 08:38 AM

In a certain bar in Sicily (I presume others can do this, but I've never found it) there is a very nice coconut drink they make. It's made with coconut milk, coconut ice cream, bits of fresh coconut, and lumps of ice. The end result is a very cold and sweet coconut drink. It's wonderful shappy

It's the same colour as your drink (sort of, more white) so I thought of it stongue

I could eat coconut and drink coconut milk all day sdrool

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Harold-L - 08-10-2009 12:17 AM

Sounds good shappy
Actually sounds pretty similar to the Valencian Horchata. From what Ive read there is an Italian version of the Horchata, so that might be it?

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Jonnyjonny_uk - 08-10-2009 04:39 PM

Hiya Harold,

That looks a very nice drink and after seeing it I had to do some homework lol. Here's what I found:

Mexican Horchata
A refreshing cold drink made of rice, almonds, cinnamon (canella), lime zest and sugar. This drink is rumored to be a cure for a hangover and is frequently served at breakfast time. Even though the drink has a milky appearance it is completely dairy-free.

History
According to Sophie Coe in America's First Cuisine's, horchata was an old-world drink brought to the new world by the Spaniards and later enjoyed too by the Aztecs. In Spain horchata was made with with ground melon seeds but given the seeds were not available in the new world the Spaniards substituted the readily available squash seeds. Later almonds and rice were brought to the new world and incorporated into the drink as it is prepared today.

Serves: 6 - 7
I N G R E D I E N T S
6 tablespoons rice
6 ounces (about 1 1/4 cups) blanched almonds
1 inch cinnamon stick (canella)
3 "2-inch" strips of lime zest (rind only, not the white pithy part) 3/4" long
1 cup white granulated sugar

I N S T R U C T I O N S
The traditional way to make horchata is with a metate y mano. For those of us less adventurous, or simple those with less time, we can use a blender.
Pulverize the rice using a metate y mano or your blender. Grind the mixture as smooth as possible. Combine the rice with the almonds, cinnamon and lime zest. Stir in 2 1/4 cups hot tap water then cover and let the mixture stand overnight (minimally 6 hours).

Place the mixture in the blender jar and blend for at least 3 - 5 minutes until the mixture is smooth and no long has a gritty texture. Add 2 cups of water and blend again for just a few seconds. Place a large sieve over a mixing bowl. Line the sieve with 3 layers of damp cheesecloth. Pour in the rice mixture, a little at a time and keep stirring to help the mixture go through the sieve. Once all the liquid has passed through to the bowl gather the cloth together at the top, give it a twist and squeeze out any additional liquid.

Now add 2 more cups of water and stir in as much sugar as you'd like, to taste. If the mixture is too thick, add some additional water.

Cover and refrigerate. The drink should keep several days, refrigerated.
Serve in a tall glass over ice.

If I get around to making one I'll let you know how it tastes Big Grin

ps are you in Spain for the holidays?

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Harold-L - 08-10-2009 10:58 PM

Hi John shappy
That is the mexican horchata though, which seems to be more famous in the US because of all the mexican restaurants they have there.
The Valencian one is made from tiger nuts(or chufas as they call them here) and probably tastes quite different to the Mexican one Blob5

Quote:ps are you in Spain for the holidays?
Sure am :twisted:

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Jonnyjonny_uk - 08-11-2009 01:31 AM

Hiya Harold.

Maybe you should try the Mexican one as well now then Big Grin

How is it in Spain? Are you having a good time?

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Harold-L - 08-12-2009 11:20 PM

I probably should try the mexican one too, does sound tasty sdrool

And Im having a great time in Spain, sadly Ive just got a couple of days left though. Theeen the long train trip back home starts :roll:

Hows life in Moscow? stongue
I bet its cold there, cold and rainy huh? :twisted:

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Jonnyjonny_uk - 08-12-2009 11:56 PM

Harold-L Wrote:And Im having a great time in Spain, sadly Ive just got a couple of days left though. Theeen the long train trip back home starts :roll:

Glad you're having a good time but sorry to hear it's coming to an end. Oh wow you travelled there by train? Do you always go by train then? It must be quite an interesting journey though? I thoroughly enjoyed the train journey from Moscow to London albeit pretty white most the way :lol:

Harold-L Wrote:life in Moscow? stongue
I bet its cold there, cold and rainy huh? :twisted:

Life's very good at the moment as I'm on holiday so enjoying some lazy days and also some days out around the city. Yesterday we went on a huge shopping trip (can't beat a little retail therapy) and tomorrow we're going rollerblading and then off out for a meal.

The weather here is still really nice actually and 24c and sunny _cheesygrin::

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - brokeninpieces - 08-13-2009 01:21 AM

sounds a really nice drink shappy

Re: If you ever find yourself in a Valencian bar - Harold-L - 08-13-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:Glad you're having a good time but sorry to hear it's coming to an end. Oh wow you travelled there by train? Do you always go by train then? It must be quite an interesting journey though? I thoroughly enjoyed the train journey from Moscow to London albeit pretty white most the way
We used to get here by plane, but Ive always hated it. Seeing as Im old enough, this time I told my parents that id go by train with or without them. They could take the plane if they wanted to but Id take the train. So they decided to join me stongue
I have to say that I really enjoy train traveling too though. The only problem I have is that I cant sleep on the trains. It doesnt matter if its a chair or a bed, I just dont fall asleep :shock:
Did you have trouble sleeping on your trip? Did you have beds?

Quote:Life's very good at the moment as I'm on holiday so enjoying some lazy days and also some days out around the city. Yesterday we went on a huge shopping trip (can't beat a little retail therapy) and tomorrow we're going rollerblading and then off out for a meal.

The weather here is still really nice actually and 24c and
Sounds like youre living the good life eh? :twisted:
And rollerblading? Like out in the city or in a ...rollerblading...place? sconfused
That sounds like fun anyway Blob5

Quote:sounds a really nice drink
It sure is sdrool
And Hi Louise! shappy
You havent been on for a while have you? Hows life?