oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of Needles, blood, etc... - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Needle Phobia (/f-needle-phobia)
+--- Thread: Fear of Needles, blood, etc... (/t-fear-of-needles-blood-etc)

Fear of Needles, blood, etc... - Melime19 - 01-09-2008 01:18 PM

Hi, everyone! I'm really glad that I found this site. I really feel for a lot of the people here already by just reading their stories. It also feels good to not be so alone. Anywho, I guess my fear started back when I was in junior high. I always hated shots but never passed out before. I went to get my flu shot and the nurse finished. I hardly remember anything except that I felt really heavy and then I woke up on the ground. I fainted into my Mom, who was standing right next to me. She didn't know I was out and so she gave a little and I fell and hit my head on that big metal paper covered patient seat thing. I felt jittery the whole rest of the day and I also felt kinda stupid and pathetic.

A year later, I was in science class and the teacher was doing an "amputation demonstration" where you use that clever little chemical reaction to make it look like your bleeding when you run a plastic knife along your arm. I felt my face go numb and I couldn't hear anything but a high pitched fuzzy sound. I fainted into the aisle and woke up with everyone around me. I was embarrassed, so I joked and laughed it off. Once I had gotten back into my seat a couple minutes later, the teacher went on with his explanation of how they break the bones after cutting through the flesh....and I was out again. Only after the second time I passed out did he stop the demonstration. I felt really bad, lol, I still kinda do.

Freshman year, I passed out while watching an altitude sickness documentary in science class. They were drawing blood from his ear. I tried to turn and put my head between my knees, but it was too late and I fainted, hitting my head on the desk next to me. Needless to say, I graduated with a reputation for passing out and being weak-stomached.

Now, I faint every time I get a shot. My hepatitis B series was never finished because I couldn’t go back after the first shot. I passed out in the waiting room after I had my shot done. Every time it seems a little easier for me to pass out. I’m constantly anxious about it and I’m terrified of the concept of needles even touching me. I just recently went to the dentist and he said that I had to get my wisdom teeth out. I have oral surgery coming up on the 8th of February and I’m so anxious about the IV that everything I think about wanders its way toward needles and blood. I'm constantly thinking about it during school. I'll rub my arms and adjust my sleeves (somtimes I feel like my pushed up sleeves are like tourniquets and it freaks me out). I'll breathe deeply and people next to me ask if I'm okay and I nod. I feel nauseous all the time and I had a panic attack while I was driving and had to pull over. I had a talk with my oral surgeon and he prescribed me with valium so I’ll be relaxed when I get the IV, but I’m freaking out about it now. My family says that I just shouldn’t think about it, but even subconsciously, I think, it’s overwhelming me. I feel stupid about freaking out about something so ridiculous and small.

My Dad thinks I’m a joke and my brothers laugh about it. My friends sometimes try to gross me out by talking about the general topic of needles and/or blood. My Mom gives me some sympathy and that’s because she passed out a few times as a kid. She keeps telling me that I’ll grow out of it, but it just feels like it’s getting worse. I’m so freaked I want to cry, but then I’ll feel even more pathetic. I hate attracting attention that way and I don’t particularly like having people feel sorry for me. I just want to feel not so dumb for something that I feel like I should be able to control, but I can’t. I’ve tried so hard to calm myself and try not to think about it, but I still find my thoughts running toward the rated R section of my brain. I’m so frustrated with this. I feel like I'm afraid of passing out, maybe even more than needles. I even passed out at the movies the other day...that was embarrassing. Anyways, thanks for listening (reading) the rant. :wink:

Re: Fear of Needles, blood, etc... - jossie marie - 01-26-2008 03:35 AM

i know how you feel, i'm the same although thankfully i havent fainted yet, but i think that is simply due to the fact that i dont look, its weird though because i worked at a vets for a while, and i never had any problems watching the animals have injection and things, it just when i see people, makes me feel really sick and i just can't look, my dad used to get mad at me too, so did my mum, and come to think of it so does my hubby at times, i think they just find it hard to understand because they havent had it themselves. my hubby always says to me that no one likes it but you just have to get on with it.
which really doenst help, any who, if you ever wanna chat im more than happy to lend an ear hun.

Re: Fear of Needles, blood, etc... - SweetBetsy - 01-28-2008 11:53 AM

I hope I can help. My fear is just as real and as bad as yours and I've had it for 57 years. And I was just diagnosed with diabetes, so I'm in deep trouble.
But the dental thing is something that I might be able to help you with: Find a dentist who used nitrous oxide. Tell him/her you need it only to get past the needle. It works. I have gorgeous teeth -- and I no longer even need the nitrous in order to get novocaine. It costs about $25 extra for the nitrous, but the way it takes away the fear is incredible.

Silly, but because of my needle phobia, I haven't been able to test my sugar level in the past two weeks that I have the glucose meter. It took enormous effort and two trips to the lab (with EMLA cream put where the phlebotomist said she'd do the test with a baby needle) before I was able (barely) to get the blood test - and I knew I had the symptoms of diabetes and it runs in the family. I don't know what I'll do about that. But because I did get over the fear of needles in my gums ONLY, I've been testing by sugar levels by flossing -- it's doesn't work very well.

Good luck to you. I hope you and I both find a way across this fear.