oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Medication, Symptoms, Treatment and Support (/f-medication-symptoms-treatment-and-support)
+--- Forum: Treatment (/f-treatment)
+--- Thread: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. (/t-hypnotherapy-and-hearing-voices)

Pages: 1 2

Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-29-2007 09:35 AM

Ok folks, those who don't know already - I hear voices. I'm very interested in the field of hypnotherapy and have read a number of books on the subject, the current one being "Hypnotherapy for Dummies" which I am reading to help me prepare for some future hypnotherapy sessions. I want to do my research, so I have to cover all the bases and make sure that I can work well with my future therapist. I don't just hear voices, I have memory and concentration problems which is all part of an illness that developed when I was in my 1st year of university back in 1997 - it was stress-induced. I started to hear voices one year later when I became stressed out working in a call centre and wanted to be able to read peoples' minds so that I knew what they actually thought of me - I think my sub-concious has been giving me just that but I know it's all imaginary. I also think there are more underlying factors such as being verbally bullied right through my childhood and in to my teens. My shyness and good nature apparently came across as a weakness to many of those around me including my older brother. As you can imagine coming home to face more bullying after putting up with it all day was a lot to deal with and the fact that my parents never got along for most of my youth never helped either - my mum ended up having a breakdown as I entered high school and coping with all the peer pressures felt a bit too much at times as well.

So you have a brief history of my illness, some causes of it and why I came here. What I want to ask ( especially to any professionals who post here ) is if hypnotherapy could reduce or even rid me of these voices ? Can hypnotherapy improve my concentration and memory ? Are there any self help methods ?

I know that hearing the voices is very distracting in itself and is part of the reason for my memory problems but I had those one year before I began to hear voices.

Lastly, I just want to say that there are more phobia related things I want to discuss too in future topics - but what I have brought out in this topic is the most important one to me at the moment

I would appreciate any comments, thoughts and advice on anything Big Grin .

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Daniel - 12-29-2007 09:35 AM

Don't be sorry at hearing voices - stops you being lonely _cheesygrin::

*note - don't take this as an insult*

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-29-2007 09:53 AM

Daniel Wrote:Don't be sorry at hearing voices - stops you being lonely _cheesygrin::

*note - don't take this as an insult*

:lol: there is that Big Grin - it's really not as bad as you'd think and you get used to it after a while. You'd think that being out and amongst people would make it worse, but it has the opposite effect but still hear the odd thing occasionally. When I think about the content of them they do relate to my own fears and I do feel a little paranoid at times which tends to fuel them even more so.

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Daniel - 12-29-2007 09:54 AM

It's when they say Kill - Kill them - slit their throats... - thats when you want to be worried.

*scares myself*

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Retro - 12-29-2007 09:58 AM

Daniel Wrote:It's when they say Kill - Kill them - slit their throats... - thats when you want to be worried.

*scares myself*
*Runs away* "AHHH!! SCARY POST!!" *Hits Wall* sdrool

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Daniel - 12-29-2007 10:02 AM

Watch out for that wall.

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-29-2007 10:04 AM

Daniel Wrote:It's when they say Kill - Kill them - slit their throats... - thats when you want to be worried.

*scares myself*

I do read about such things in the news and that is frightening, however the content of my voices tends to be focused around me and what I'm doing or thinking at the time. Sort of like a running commentary or having someone stood in the room near me talking about me. I have experienced voices telling me that someone was going to beat me up, things like that but I'm very grateful that I don't hear anything violent towards others - I'd hate having to live my life like that.

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Daniel - 12-29-2007 10:05 AM

Tell them to shut the f*** up - usually works for me

*side note - make sure there isn't anyone around you when you do that - especially 20st rugby players*

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-29-2007 10:10 AM

Daniel Wrote:Tell them to shut the f*** up - usually works for me

*side note - make sure there isn't anyone around you when you do that - especially 20st rugby players*

:lol: My brother has told me to do that when I first told him about them - even that doesn't shut them up but I do say it quite often in my mind. Would hate to see what happens on the bus if I ever were to say it aloud. You know, I was walking to work once and this young woman stood next to me and then all of a sudden started yelling, "I'm not stupid !" and carried on as if she never uttered a word. I think I'm one of the lucky ones.

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Shy guy - 12-29-2007 10:18 AM

WingedOne Wrote:...the content of my voices tends to be focused around me and what I'm doing or thinking at the time. Sort of like a running commentary or having someone stood in the room near me talking about me. I have experienced voices telling me that someone was going to beat me up, things like that but I'm very grateful that I don't hear anything violent towards others - I'd hate having to live my life like that.

When you say voices is it your own voice or some other voice(s) talking to you?

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Super Ted - 12-29-2007 11:47 PM

Hey WingedOne,

Send a PM to Rick61701, he's a professional Hypnotherpist. I'm sure he could answer you?

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-30-2007 01:17 AM

When you say voices is it your own voice or some other voice(s) talking to you?[/quote]

A mixture - sometimes it's my own but mostly it's in the form of the neighbours next door, other people in the pub who are near me, my brother or his wife when I am stopping over at theirs. I don't think there is any limit and you could say they adapt to who ever is in my vicinity.

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-30-2007 01:18 AM

Super Ted Wrote:Hey WingedOne,

Send a PM to Rick61701, he's a professional Hypnotherpist. I'm sure he could answer you?

I'll do that now, thanks !

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - Shy guy - 12-30-2007 10:42 AM

shy guy Wrote:
WingedOne Wrote:When you say voices is it your own voice or some other voice(s) talking to you?

A mixture - sometimes it's my own but mostly it's in the form of the neighbours next door, other people in the pub who are near me, my brother or his wife when I am stopping over at theirs. I don't think there is any limit and you could say they adapt to who ever is in my vicinity.

Have you talked to your doctor about the voices, memory, and concentration problems?

If as you say the problem is stress related perhaps you could use hypnotherapy to help you to relax rather than trying deal directly with the voices. What do you think? ssmile

Re: Hypnotherapy and hearing voices. - WingedOne - 12-31-2007 03:51 AM

Shy guy Wrote:Have you talked to your doctor about the voices, memory, and concentration problems?

If as you say the problem is stress related perhaps you could use hypnotherapy to help you to relax rather than trying deal directly with the voices. What do you think? ssmile

Yes, they know everything. I do own some relaxation hypnotherapy CD's and have a couple of tapes that two previous hypnotherapists have given me in the past. They do relax, but the voices still persist although at a reduced level.

[edit: I've never asked a hypnotherapist to help eliminate or reduce the voices before, just dealt with memory, concentration and confidence, confidence being another problem that hinders me at times]