oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Light therapy - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Medication, Symptoms, Treatment and Support (/f-medication-symptoms-treatment-and-support)
+--- Forum: Treatment (/f-treatment)
+--- Thread: Light therapy (/t-light-therapy)

Light therapy - Jonnyjonny_uk - 12-10-2007 11:51 AM

Has anyone ever tried light therapy?

Re: Light therapy - Retro - 12-10-2007 11:54 AM

Huh? Explain what is this "Light Therapy" sdrool

Re: Light therapy - Jonnyjonny_uk - 12-10-2007 11:59 AM

Treatment is to be in bright light every day. Going to a brightly-lit climate, whether that's skiing or somewhere hot, will relieve symptoms but if that’s not possible you can use a bright light. The preferred level of light is about as bright as a spring morning on a clear day and for most people sitting in front of a light like this for around 30 minutes a day will be sufficient to alleviate the symptoms. You don’t have to stare at the light, so you can watch TV or read or similar, just make sure that light reaches your eyes.

The light must be suitably bright. You need at least 2500lux (lux is the technical measure of brightness) which is roughly five times brighter than a well-lit office. Brighter 10,000lux lights take less time to use and allow you to sit further away. Simply using 'daylight' or 'full spectrum' lights at home will not work as they're not bright enough.

Re: Light therapy - Phoenix - 12-11-2007 07:44 AM

There are special light boxes you can buy (seasonal affective disorder) and we had one at work last winter... I didn't see any difference until they turned it off. Felt a bit :?

So it must have some benefit.... happy3

Re: Light therapy - destiny18_au - 12-14-2007 11:09 AM

Whats light therapy meant to treat phobias ? Anxiety ? I'm really interested to know.

Thanks,

Destiny.

Re: Light therapy - Shy guy - 12-14-2007 04:41 PM

destiny18_au Wrote:Whats light therapy meant to treat phobias ? Anxiety ? I'm really interested to know.

Light therapy are used to treat a form of depression call Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

In cases of SAD the sufferer is unable to get enough sunlight at certain times of year and this triggers the depressive symptoms which as with all forms of depression slowly get worse unless properly treated. Light therapy artificially increases the amount of 'sunlight' the suffer receives in a day and offers a safer alternative to antidepressants for this condition. Other depressive disorders need alternative treatments depending on the severity and cause.

Does that help answer you question Destiny, or would you like to know more? happy7

Re: Light therapy - destiny18_au - 12-15-2007 02:54 PM

That helps thanks Shy Guy. I wish I could actually go out into the sun, I can't actually go out into and if I do only 5 minutes because of the Lupus, I'm like a living day vampire lol. How do people with SAD actually get recognised, do they do special tests ? Sorry just curious as this is new to me and I really didn't know that depression could come in so many forms all I knew about was depression and post-natal depression. I was just recently diagnosed with depression but had been on depression medication for 7 years for anxiety/panic attacks.

Destiny.

Re: Light therapy - Shy guy - 12-15-2007 10:04 PM

destiny18_au Wrote:How do people with SAD actually get recognised, do they do special tests ? Sorry just curious as this is new to me and I really didn't know that depression could come in so many forms all I knew about was depression and post-natal depression. I was just recently diagnosed with depression but had been on depression medication for 7 years for anxiety/panic attacks.

Your depression is understand able under the circumstances and I haven't forgot about fear of cramps, I am still thinking of what to suggest next. ssmile

SAD is sub-type affective disorder and is diagnosed through a clinical interview.

To be diagnosed with SAD the client must have already been diagnosed with depression or Bipolar Disorder and have suffered significantly more depressive symptom in Autumn and Winter for at least two years.

Furthermore all the usually tests have been completed to rule out any other Disorders or organic causes such as thyroid problems...

...And don't be sorry about asking questions, as you know I do it all the time. shappy