oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
How common is self-harm? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Depression & Anxiety (/f-depression-anxiety)
+--- Thread: How common is self-harm? (/t-how-common-is-self-harm)

Pages: 1 2

How common is self-harm? - Dreamer_15 - 12-05-2007 10:37 AM

Self-harm is more common than people realise. It's impossible to say exactly how many young people self-harm because:

- Many young people hurt themselves secretly before finding the courage to tell someone
- Many of them never ask for counselling or medical help
- There is no standard definition of self-harm used in research
- There are no national statistics on self-harm currently available

However, the best evidence we have suggests:

- Self-harm is most common in children over the age of 11 and increases in frequency with age. It is uncommon in very young children although there is evidence of children as young as five trying to harm themselves

- Self-harm is more common amongst girls and young women than amongst boys and young men. Studies indicate that, amongst young people over 13 years of age, approximately three times as many females as males harm themselves

- A study in Oxford found that approximately 300 per 100,000 males aged between 15 and 24 years, and 700 per 100,000 females of the same age, were admitted to hospital following an episode of self-harm during the year 2000

- Community based studies report higher rates of self-harm than hospital based studies

- A national survey of children and adolescents carried out in the community found that 5 per cent of boys and 8 per cent of girls aged 13-15 said that they had, at some time, tried to harm, hurt or kill themselves

- In the same national survey, rates of self-harm reported by parents were much lower than the rates of self-harm reported by children. This suggests that many parents are unaware that their children are self-harming

- A study carried out in schools in 2002 found that 11 per cent of girls and 3 per cent of boys aged 15 and 16 said they had harmed themselves in the previous year.

Re: How common is self-harm? - DannyF - 12-08-2007 06:56 PM

Dreamer_15 Wrote:- Self-harm is more common amongst girls and young women than amongst boys and young men. Studies indicate that, amongst young people over 13 years of age, approximately three times as many females as males harm themselves

- A study carried out in schools in 2002 found that 11 per cent of girls and 3 per cent of boys aged 15 and 16 said they had harmed themselves in the previous year.

I cant find the link at the mo but i will try and find the site,but in recent studies its been shown that boys/men are just as likley to harm themselves in recent years as females,however less men ever talk to someone about it or admit they have a problem which is why past stats show that it tended to be more females...either that or its just become more common with males ssad

Good post Chaz, and like ya said "There is no standard definition of self harm used in research"... basicaly even among phyciatric workers theres a stigma to self harm.. or misunderstanding,its often seen as suicidial behaviour or behaviour indicating suicidal tendecies rather than a problem on its own which it is (which explains some of the the stats of people getting sent to hospital afterwards.. doctors tend just to section people who self harm as they believe them to be suicidal),or worse its often seen as attenion seeking behaviour... despite the seriousness of the harm sometimes and the fact many people go to great lenghts to deny it and keep it from people such as blaming cuts on accidents pets ect... cutting where no one can see and always wearing clothes to cover the indicated area.There is a poor level of education about self harm across the board.. despite the fact it is understood scientificaly,wich explains the fact about many people not telling parents or asking for medical help..as alot of parets/health carers probaly dont know how to deal with the issue... and sadly sometimes dont or pass it off as "attenion behaviour" or a phase.

Re: How common is self-harm? - BlackLily - 12-14-2007 10:52 PM

I used to self harm. It started when I was 16 & the last time I did it was when I was 20. I've still got the scars but thankfully they have faded so you can only notice them if you know they are there.

Re: How common is self-harm? - Retro - 12-14-2007 11:12 PM

For me, I've stopped..It started in 5th Grade..Worst school year i ever had..I continued till the 7th grade*, so thats like 2 years..I've tried committing Suicide seven times, and I am happy I never succeed. Because without the help of my Parents, my Counselor, and my friends, my life would be a living hell right now..

* - right now i'm in seventh grade..

Re: How common is self-harm? - BlackLily - 12-14-2007 11:58 PM

I'm happy to hear you have stopped the self harming. I look back now & can see the damage I could have done if I carried on. I got the scars but they will eventually fade.

Sorry to hear that you had tried committing suicide, you muct have been in a really low place :cry:

I hope things are starting to get better for you now. Remember there are people to talk to & you still have a long life ahead of you Big Grin

I'm in the UK so we don't have a grade system in our schools, school years go Nursery (age 3), then Reception (age 4) then from year 1 (age 5) until year 12. (age 18)

If your in Seventh Grade, how old does that make you??

Re: How common is self-harm? - Failure4All - 12-28-2007 04:22 PM

Well, I am 34 years old and still a cutter........................I have been cutting since I was 14 years old, so about 20 years I have been a cutter........and wishing I were DEAD!!!

I have tried to commit suicide at least 15 times, maybe more.....................I have cut myself up so bad that I have started getting tattoos to cover up the scars..............................

I don't know how to stop. The longest I have went without cutting is about 10 months................

Re: How common is self-harm? - Dreamer_15 - 12-28-2007 09:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear about all your problems ^^ Sad

I've attempted sucide twice..well ive done it more times then that but only twice that my family know of. And the first time I started cutting when I was about 13 I think, and havent really stopped since...it really grips you :frown::

Quote:The longest I have went without cutting is about 10 months................

That is such a long time though...how did you make yourself quit for such a long time? do you have any kind of technique?

Re: How common is self-harm? - Daniel - 12-29-2007 09:52 AM

I did it for strange reason's. When I'm anxious or scared or upset the taste of blood has a calming effect for me - strange I know.

Re: How common is self-harm? - Failure4All - 12-29-2007 12:51 PM

Dreamer_15 Wrote:I'm sorry to hear about all your problems ^^ Sad

I've attempted sucide twice..well ive done it more times then that but only twice that my family know of. And the first time I started cutting when I was about 13 I think, and havent really stopped since...it really grips you :frown::

Quote:The longest I have went without cutting is about 10 months................

That is such a long time though...how did you make yourself quit for such a long time? do you have any kind of technique?

I really don't have a technique for stopping the cutting when I was able to have a little control over it............I usually went to sleep and slept those feelings off. Since then, I have started working a 3rd shift job and all day long, thoughts, voices and such consume my mind which make it unbearable to stop. My husband and I are going through a tough time right now and the stress he is putting me under is making it all come out again................. :cry:

Re: How common is self-harm? - Barrucadu - 12-29-2007 12:58 PM

Daniel Wrote:I did it for strange reason's. When I'm anxious or scared or upset the taste of blood has a calming effect for me - strange I know.
That's not strange, blood tastes lovely!

Re: How common is self-harm? - Shinobi - 12-29-2007 09:08 PM

I was REALLY depressed in my early teens because of verbal bullying, which made my social anxiety 10 times worse, but I've never sought self harm as an answer.

Re: How common is self-harm? - Torqueo - 12-30-2007 09:44 AM

I've only self-harmed a few times.
Only when I'm really angry and want to hurt something or someone.
I used to cut to snap myself out of my rage and calm down.

The pain kinda, woke me up to reality.

Doesn't happen nowadays though

Re: How common is self-harm? - Mr Ian - 01-22-2008 01:29 AM

Self-harm has been a career long major interest of mine. I've never been a 'cutter' or attempted suicide (tho I've entertained the idea once or twice in younger days) but have worked with a number of individuals (mostly females who cut) over the years.

Self harm is not just a 'cutting' experience tho - overdoses (without intent to die) and binge drinking can be considered self-harm as can some illicit drug taking behaviours.

Anyhow, the stats on female/male differences are something I'd agree with if they were looking at cutting behaviours or overdoses alone as females tend to employ less violent means of behaviour; but alcohol binging and even putting yourself into a fight deliberately to get hurt are forms of violent self-harm, which tend to be more males.

I suppose my biggest interest in self-harm is how the professionals react to it - usually it's in a negative and repulsed way; which is pretty unprofessional and I often spend more time working on the staff than I do the person who self-harms! Most places are becoming more aware and appropriate in their responses now tho which is much better.

I'm also interested in any particular things people have done to replace self harming or to change the way they might self harm.

Re: How common is self-harm? - SymphonyofaButterfly - 01-22-2008 02:33 AM

I am not 100% sure about this being self harm but is sniffing substances self harm? Is it for pleasure or is it to hurt oneself? :?

Symphony

Re: How common is self-harm? - Barrucadu - 01-22-2008 02:41 AM

I suppose it depends on the intent.