oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Birthdays - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: Birthdays (/t-birthdays)

Birthdays - Harold-L - 12-02-2007 08:06 PM

So how do other social phobics handle birthdays?
Mines coming up in about 2 weeks and i'm already litteraly having nightmares about it :shock:
Worst time of the year ssleepy

Re: Birthdays - Shy guy - 12-03-2007 02:19 AM

Harold-L Wrote:So how do other social phobics handle birthdays?
Mines coming up in about 2 weeks and i'm already litteraly having nightmares about it :shock:
Worst time of the year ssleepy

To be honest I don't. A week before my birthday I become restless, panicky, cannot sleep and feel nauseous mainly because my ex-partner insisted on celebrating every occasion by having a dinner party for her friends. ssad

Who is trying to celebrate yours for you Harold, your mum or someone else? ssad

Re: Birthdays - Jonnyjonny_uk - 12-03-2007 05:48 AM

I can imagine how it must feel Harold. Especially when its supposed to be a happy occasion. It must be awful if someone was to organise a surprise party!!

Re: Birthdays - Harold-L - 12-03-2007 08:51 AM

Quote:Who is trying to celebrate yours for you Harold, your mum or someone else?
well kinda... both i guess. ssleepy
My parents always organize something small but the only ones invited are my granny and uncle. So that's no big deal.
What i'm dreading are my "friends". :|
They always show up uninvited. and of course my parents have to invite them to come inside and then make me go out with them.
I don't even like those people :shock:

Quote:
I can imagine how it must feel Harold. Especially when its supposed to be a happy occasion. It must be awful if someone was to organise a surprise party!!

Yea it's annoying.
Everyone expects you to love all the attention you get. nobody understands why i don't want to celebrate my 20th birthday.it's supposed to be a "big" birthday where youre should invite tons of people and make a big darn party.

ssleepy

Re: Birthdays - Shy guy - 12-04-2007 07:52 AM

Harold-L Wrote:What i'm dreading are my "friends". :|
They always show up uninvited. and of course my parents have to invite them to come inside and then make me go out with them.
I don't even like those people :shock:

I guess you cannot take an earlier flight to Spain or can you?

Have you tried explaining to your parents how you feel about things, or are they like my family and incapable of accepting the reality of the situation?

Re: Birthdays - Harold-L - 12-06-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:I guess you cannot take an earlier flight to Spain or can you?
Haha I wish :shock:

Quote:Have you tried explaining to your parents how you feel about things, or are they like my family and incapable of accepting the reality of the situation?
Well they know i don't like it and agreed to not actually have a party except for my granny and uncle.
however my friends always show up uninvited and my parents dont want to be rude...it's inevitable :roll:

Re: Birthdays - Generical - 12-11-2007 01:03 AM

I get really nervous when a birthday is coming up so sometimes i just don't tell people :roll:

I just never know what to do for it, i haven't had a friend come over my house for years and im not a big fan of clubs or anything. I also don't like drinking in large amounts and as friends will likely buy drinks for me it just puts me under pressure...........not looking forward to my 21st confused1

Re: Birthdays - soundlessenigma - 12-11-2007 01:31 PM

I would rather not have a birthday, it's just another day to me anyway.

Usually I just go out with family. That's it. Since there isn't anyone to know, I don't have to worry about parties or gifts or anything. Which has its negative points. I just go along with it though.

I am not particularly looking forward to 21 either - added pressure...

Re: Birthdays - Shinobi - 12-17-2007 05:54 PM

I've had that problem since I was a kid, I remember not wanting to blow out the candles on the cake because everybody was staring.Even when I used to go to families birthday parties I would not be able to sing happy birthday I would just lip it..Now I don't even go to birthday parties or any parties, I turned 18 in September and just sat home and I like it that way.I haven't had a real birthday party since I was like 12 or 13, my parents used to want to have one but I would beg them not to. Blob5 <--I just wanted to test out this blob. _cheesygrin::

Re: Birthdays - soundlessenigma - 12-18-2007 03:14 PM

miT Wrote:I've had that problem since I was a kid, I remember not wanting to blow out the candles on the cake because everybody was staring.Even when I used to go to families birthday parties I would not be able to sing happy birthday I would just lip it..Now I don't even go to birthday parties or any parties, I turned 18 in September and just sat home and I like it that way.I haven't had a real birthday party since I was like 12 or 13, my parents used to want to have one but I would beg them not to. Blob5 <--I just wanted to test out this blob. _cheesygrin::

Ah, me too! I always thought I was alone, not singing or candles or not even wanting a party xD

Re: Birthdays - Shinobi - 12-19-2007 01:18 PM

soundlessenigma Wrote:
miT Wrote:I've had that problem since I was a kid, I remember not wanting to blow out the candles on the cake because everybody was staring.Even when I used to go to families birthday parties I would not be able to sing happy birthday I would just lip it..Now I don't even go to birthday parties or any parties, I turned 18 in September and just sat home and I like it that way.I haven't had a real birthday party since I was like 12 or 13, my parents used to want to have one but I would beg them not to. Blob5 <--I just wanted to test out this blob. _cheesygrin::

Ah, me too! I always thought I was alone, not singing or candles or not even wanting a party xD
I know, I thought I was the only one too.. =D

Re: Birthdays - Broken_Memory - 03-06-2008 11:07 AM

Wow! This is the first time I've others say they feel this way. I have for the longest time, dreaded opening presents in front of others. A whole day about ME? I often find myself wishing I had a twin or something so the attention could be divided.