oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Arachnophobia (Spider Fear) - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Animals (/f-animals)
+---- Forum: Arachnophobia - Fear of Spiders (/f-arachnophobia-fear-of-spiders)
+---- Thread: Arachnophobia (Spider Fear) (/t-arachnophobia-spider-fear)

Pages: 1 2

Arachnophobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 12-01-2007 11:53 AM

Hey, first of all, I'm seriously too ashamed to put out in words by writing this, but it has to come out. I can't keep quiet forever... I have a big fear for spiders, and I'm a male. Whenever I see a spider my heartrate goes up. I'm not afraid talking about them, I'm not afraid watching them on TV, I'm not afraid watching giant ones on closeups on for example youtube but when I see just a tiny one in real life I make a big way around it :/.

Once, I suddenly woke up at night, I don't know how. Turned on the light and I saw a spider in front of me on the wall. I went down and slept on the sofa for 2 days. It wasn't even a big one, just a normal one you see in every house.

I just can't seem to get over it either, I tried. I can hold my face down to it, but I can't touch one. I also freak out if it starts to move.

I was wondering, is there some kind of Arachnaphobia test which tests your fearlevel for spiders? Been looking for one on google, but the only link I found was broken.

This is also the only animal fear I have. I hope to get over it one time, but this seems harder than stopping with smoking

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Shy guy - 12-01-2007 06:31 PM

Hi Bermudah Wave

Bermudah Wrote:I was wondering, is there some kind of Arachnaphobia test which tests your fearlevel for spiders? Been looking for one on google, but the only link I found was broken.

I am not sure what you mean by test, surely you know what frightens you on a scale of one to ten? confused1

Anyway take a look at this and tell me what you think, it wont tell you your anxiety levels but it can be used to extinguish you fears. ssmile

http://www.ofear.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=854&sid

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 12-01-2007 07:09 PM

Shy guy Wrote:Hi Bermudah Wave

Bermudah Wrote:I was wondering, is there some kind of Arachnaphobia test which tests your fearlevel for spiders? Been looking for one on google, but the only link I found was broken.

I am not sure what you mean by test, surely you know what frightens you on a scale of one to ten? confused1

Anyway take a look at this and tell me what you think, it wont tell you your anxiety levels but it can be used to extinguish you fears. ssmile

http://www.ofear.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=854&sid

With the test I wanted to know in what kind of condition I am regarding spiders.

I've read your topic, since I'm not English or American and just 16 years old it's hard for me to understand, but I've gotten some useful information there.
I've read about some kind of therapy's, but getting started with them is hard.
I told my parents my fear for spiders, but they don't know it's really this bad. They'd think I'm overreacting and put a spider in my bed or something to let me get over it. (Obviously they don't know a thing about phobia's like this).

I think I can't even handle asking anyone in real life... I'd be too ashamed. But I guess I should be searching for help somewhere Sad

Thanks for the link

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Shy guy - 12-01-2007 07:45 PM

Bermudah Wrote:I've read your topic, since I'm not English or American and just 16 years old it's hard for me to understand, but I've gotten some useful information there...

Oh, what is your first language Bermudah, perhaps someone would be willing to translate - Ellen has already translated one of my posts into Russian. _cheesygrin::

Quote:I've read about some kind of therapy's, but getting started with them is hard.
I told my parents my fear for spiders, but they don't know it's really this bad. They'd think I'm overreacting and put a spider in my bed or something to let me get over it. (Obviously they don't know a thing about phobia's like this).

Ah not to helpful. ssad

Quote:I think I can't even handle asking anyone in real life... I'd be too ashamed. But I guess I should be searching for help somewhere Sad

I am sure we can help, it is just a matter of finding someone to help with the translation. ssmile

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 12-01-2007 08:31 PM

Aight then... my first language is dutch (and that's as far as I want to go O.o)

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Ana - 12-13-2007 02:31 PM

Bermudah Wrote:Hey, first of all, I'm seriously too ashamed to put out in words by writing this, but it has to come out. I can't keep quiet forever... I have a big fear for spiders, and I'm a male. Whenever I see a spider my heartrate goes up. I'm not afraid talking about them, I'm not afraid watching them on TV, I'm not afraid watching giant ones on closeups on for example youtube but when I see just a tiny one in real life I make a big way around it :/.

I'm very much the same way; I'm ok seeing spiders in pictures and on the tv but if I see any spider near me, I get scared.

I have never heard of any Arachnaphobia test.
I think that the only thing you could find that's similar to a test is a description of 'phobias' which includes 'symptoms'. Read through the 'symptoms' and see which ones relate to you. Then, depending on how many of the 'symptoms' you have, you can determin the severity of your phobia.

I have to agree with shy guy though, you know best regarding the severity of your phobia.

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Barrucadu - 12-13-2007 05:45 PM

I'm confused, why are you ashamed? I'm a sixteen year old arachnophobia male.

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 12-17-2007 06:32 AM

I have never heard of any Arachnaphobia test.
I think that the only thing you could find that's similar to a test is a description of 'phobias' which includes 'symptoms'. Read through the 'symptoms' and see which ones relate to you. Then, depending on how many of the 'symptoms' you have, you can determin the severity of your phobia.

I have to agree with shy guy though, you know best regarding the severity of your phobia.[/quote]

That's pretty much I'm looking for actually..

Barrucadu Wrote:I'm confused, why are you ashamed? I'm a sixteen year old arachnaphobia male.

Well, in my street/school there aren't many people with arachnophobia, and the ones who are are probably some little girls...
"Men aren't supposed to be scared of spiders" is what they say...

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Retro - 12-29-2007 10:59 AM

I hate spiders..Period

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - SuPaGrAm - 09-28-2008 03:31 PM

I admitt Im nervous around big spiders but they dont scare me and heres why.
Firstly: No spider will ever attack us on sight, if they see us coming, they will run and hide.

Secondly:
Out of the billions and billions of spiders in the world, about 1% are even capable of biting people (this means their mouth is designed for biting insects and our skin is too thick and too flat for their teeth to penetrate)
There is only one common house spider that can bite us, the wolf spider. Its bite is comparable to that of a horsefly, some shock value but no venomous side effects of any kind to humans.

When a spider bites, it can control the volume of venom that is released...if any. Because of the energy needed to make venom a spider wont waste it on what it can not eat, when used on prey it uses enough to paralize the sucker. It is extraordiarily rare for any spider to confuse a human as prey, so 99%+++ of bites are simply the fangs digging into our skin. these fangs are lucky if they are 2mm long (about the thickness of your thumbnail) so it will feel like a pin prick.

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 10-01-2008 01:08 AM

I'm not scared of spiders because they might bite, I'm just scared of how they look! If there was a cricket which had the same deadly venomous bite as a black widow I wouldn't be afraid of it...

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Mr Ian - 10-03-2008 03:08 AM

Hi Bermudah,

To assess the rating of your spider fear - in fact any fear - it's really about how this fear changes your life in terms of inconvenience to living "normally".

Sleeping downstairs for 2 days out of fear is fairly significant as it shows it took you two days to get over it and you changed your sleeping place - but the things you changed were of only moderate significance - ie sleeping downstairs (it's not like you threw everything out of your room and burnt it!).
Balance that against how often - and if it was only once - then it's fairly low frequency.

With the other stuff about you avoiding them - the consequence of just moving around them seems low yet the frequency is higher.

If you really want a figure - I'd rate your fear (as defined by you as something like being close to one that moves) from 0 (low) to 100 (high) as perhaps a 25-35. As compared to a fully blown acrachnaphobe, I'd say you'd rate even lower at a 10-20% - as you are not freaked by looking at them etc as many agoraphobics might be.

I'm not saying they don't bother you very much or that your fear is low when you do come face to face with one - but the effect of it on your life seems pretty low overall.
That's a total guess tho and based on only what you've written here.

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Jonnyjonny_uk - 10-13-2008 03:20 AM

Bermudah Wrote:I'm not scared of spiders because they might bite, I'm just scared of how they look! If there was a cricket which had the same deadly venomous bite as a black widow I wouldn't be afraid of it...

What actually is it in the look of them that you don't like? I'm intrigued because I also hate the look and the way they move.

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - wakinyantechate - 10-24-2008 06:49 AM

Hi everyone. I have a severe phobia of spiders. I, too, cannot stay in a room for hours to days after a spider has been in there. I have to make sure they are dead or removed from the premises, too. I they crawl away and hide I sit and panic severely that they will come back or wonder what they are doing.

I do not like the looks of any spiders. The bigger they are, the worse my fear is. Hairy and dark colored spiders seem to be a worse trigger for me. Jumping spiders or fast running spiders...forget about it. I will lose it.

When I see spiders I first freeze and am paralyzed with fear. Then I try to find someone to kill the darn thing while I keep an eye on it. If no one is around to help, I really lose it. I freeze and just stare to make sure it doesn't leave the area. If it moves even a little, I freak out. If I have to kill it myself, I usually get some kind of object that I can hold far away from me to kill it so it won't get near my hand or body. I have to make sure they are dead. I know logically they will not come after me or hurt me. I actually feel bad for them because they are probably more afraid of me than I am of them, but I just find it very hard to cope with this.

I've woke up in the middle of the night after having a dream about them and will tear apart my bed and room to search the area to make sure they are nowhere near me. It is paralyzing and really interferes with my sleep and daily activities.

I think that I am going to find a hypnotherapist soon. I am just having a hard time with this. I know that this started in childhood when my brother teased me with spiders after I found 2 in my bed in the same night. He told me they crawl in people's ears, nose, and mouth and lay eggs in the stomach and they take over and hatch. I was 5 when he told me this and I never forgot. I couldn't sleep in my bed for the longest time after that.

I know this is completely irrational and untrue...that's why it is a phobia. I just feel silly at times for not being able to control this.

I was hoping to find others on here that can share their story about spider fear as well.

Thanks for listening guys!
Wakinyantechate

Re: Arachnaphobia (Spider Fear) - Bermudah - 11-06-2008 09:38 AM

Mr Ian Wrote:Hi Bermudah,

To assess the rating of your spider fear - in fact any fear - it's really about how this fear changes your life in terms of inconvenience to living "normally".

Sleeping downstairs for 2 days out of fear is fairly significant as it shows it took you two days to get over it and you changed your sleeping place - but the things you changed were of only moderate significance - ie sleeping downstairs (it's not like you threw everything out of your room and burnt it!).
Balance that against how often - and if it was only once - then it's fairly low frequency.

With the other stuff about you avoiding them - the consequence of just moving around them seems low yet the frequency is higher.

If you really want a figure - I'd rate your fear (as defined by you as something like being close to one that moves) from 0 (low) to 100 (high) as perhaps a 25-35. As compared to a fully blown acrachnaphobe, I'd say you'd rate even lower at a 10-20% - as you are not freaked by looking at them etc as many agoraphobics might be.

I'm not saying they don't bother you very much or that your fear is low when you do come face to face with one - but the effect of it on your life seems pretty low overall.
That's a total guess tho and based on only what you've written here.

You are right though, it's not affecting my life alot. Mainly because Holland doesn't have alot of big scary spiders. But if I had to live in Brazilia or Paraguay or anything, I wouldn't be able to live in a house without injecting myself with some kind of drug which would calm my nerves.

A few weeks ago I saw one big fat (and especially tall) cross spider hanging out of my window. I've never experienced this before, I got paralyzed. I was staring at the spider and couldn't move myself away from it. My surroundings disappeared, leaving me nothing to see but that giant spider. And damn, I was scared.

Quote:What actually is it in the look of them that you don't like? I'm intrigued because I also hate the look and the way they move.

Small body... giant legs... the way they move... the speed they move at...
If they're hairy it's even freakier... and if they're thick and hairy I would clipout a machine gun at them. Not too mention the more exotical spiders, they have freaky colours and patterns on them... BAH! I'm going to have nightmares again.

Quote:Hi everyone. I have a severe phobia of spiders. I, too, cannot stay in a room for hours to days after a spider has been in there. I have to make sure they are dead or removed from the premises, too. I they crawl away and hide I sit and panic severely that they will come back or wonder what they are doing.

I do not like the looks of any spiders. The bigger they are, the worse my fear is. Hairy and dark colored spiders seem to be a worse trigger for me. Jumping spiders or fast running spiders...forget about it. I will lose it.

When I see spiders I first freeze and am paralyzed with fear. Then I try to find someone to kill the darn thing while I keep an eye on it. If no one is around to help, I really lose it. I freeze and just stare to make sure it doesn't leave the area. If it moves even a little, I freak out. If I have to kill it myself, I usually get some kind of object that I can hold far away from me to kill it so it won't get near my hand or body. I have to make sure they are dead. I know logically they will not come after me or hurt me. I actually feel bad for them because they are probably more afraid of me than I am of them, but I just find it very hard to cope with this.

I've woke up in the middle of the night after having a dream about them and will tear apart my bed and room to search the area to make sure they are nowhere near me. It is paralyzing and really interferes with my sleep and daily activities.

I think that I am going to find a hypnotherapist soon. I am just having a hard time with this. I know that this started in childhood when my brother teased me with spiders after I found 2 in my bed in the same night. He told me they crawl in people's ears, nose, and mouth and lay eggs in the stomach and they take over and hatch. I was 5 when he told me this and I never forgot. I couldn't sleep in my bed for the longest time after that.

I know this is completely irrational and untrue...that's why it is a phobia. I just feel silly at times for not being able to control this.

I was hoping to find others on here that can share their story about spider fear as well.

Thanks for listening guys!
Wakinyantechate

Hey Wakin,

Yep. I feel you. Seems like your phobia of spiders is worse than mine, but this could also be because you live in a country where you can find more weird/exotical spiders. Here in Holland (thank god) there aren't many freaky spiders. But even the less-freakiest spider scares the crap out of me. You have a very sick brother by the way sconfused

What country do you live in, and what spiders do you encounter mostly? And the last thing you need to have is a silly feeling. You are not alone with this one and I cannot control my phobia as well. I can't even drop something heavy on it, because I will get too close to the spider and it might start moving towards me...

I, strangely enough, can stay in a room with small, ordinairy spiders. That is, if they are far enough from where I sit. It also depends on what spider and the size of them. Anything bigger than a lollypop will keep me out of that room. I personally don't fear spiders enough to go into therapy, but I hope that hypnotherapy will be your solution. If not, there are still other ways to get rid of this fear, but it's not easy...