oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Needle Phobia (/f-needle-phobia)
+--- Thread: i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! (/t-i-m-soooo-glad-i-m-not-the-only-one-who-has-this)

i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - beccaebony - 11-17-2007 06:56 PM

most people laugh at me and think i'm being ridiculous when i say i've got a needle phobia, so i'm really glad to see i'm not the only one.

it doesn't help that i've got bipolar disorder and as a result need constant blood tests to check my epilim/lithium levels.

i've been avoiding/hiding from my psychiatrist for the last month and a half because he told me i needed another blood test done. long story short, he increased my med's and told me i needed one then i'd have to have one in six months, then when i went in for my results he told me i needed another one. i told him that he could... erm.. yes well lets not repeat what i said to him cos it wasn't my finest hour but went nuts because he said six MONTHS. not two in six days. i haven't been back since and though i need to be monitored and know i NEED my medication i have no plans to be anywhere near anybody who wants to stick a needle in me. to the point that i'd rather be unmedicated and totally nuts than medicated, calm and have the occasional test.

Re: i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - JBB - 11-22-2007 09:57 AM

can you bring a friend with you to help distract you? sometimes if a friend is there making you laugh or talking to you about something completely different that may help, although it sounds as if you have a severe needle phobia. I wonder if they sedate people slightly prior to drawing blood...maybe that's an option! Be careful, you don't want to end up in the hospital where you will be poked with needles way more than a blood test!

I know how you feel, I don't like needles either...

Re: i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - beccaebony - 11-26-2007 01:13 AM

JBB Wrote:can you bring a friend with you to help distract you? sometimes if a friend is there making you laugh or talking to you about something completely different that may help, although it sounds as if you have a severe needle phobia. I wonder if they sedate people slightly prior to drawing blood...maybe that's an option! Be careful, you don't want to end up in the hospital where you will be poked with needles way more than a blood test!

I know how you feel, I don't like needles either...

i am sedated when i have them done, that's the worst thing! i'm supposed to take xanax before i go in, but i get myself into that much of a state it doesn't do anything until AFTER i get the blood test done. i've also only got one good vein now (long story short also have heart condition, had heart attack, they destroyed my veins when i was in hospital) and it's a small one so it takes them ages to get blood out of it.

i've also been known to psych myself out of getting blood tests done so badly that when they did stick it in my vein went into a spasm and i had to sit there for 10 minutes trying to calm down... easier said than done!!

it's bad when you have a major needle phobia and need a blood test
it's worse when the nurse starts to do it then goes "OH CRAP" as soon as she hits a vein.

i miss my old nurse, she was lovely and it was easier getting them done with her. she used to talk to me heaps to distract me and always gave me a cool looney tunes bandaid afterwards (yes i know i'm 24 but it was still cool!) hehe

Re: i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - katezor21 - 12-05-2007 01:03 AM

I can relate to you in a few different aspects.
I too have been putting off something that is needed to keep me healthy.
Doctors and my dad both think I am crazy at the time.
And I know that my body wouldn't allow the anti-anxiety medication to work during the process because I get so worked up.

It's not the needle that bothers me, although I don't like it I am sure it is normal to not like the needle itself.

It's the anxiety that comes with it. Is it the same way for you?

Re: i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who has this! - beccaebony - 12-16-2007 11:16 PM

i don't like having anything under my skin, but i think the anxiety is probably a part of it.

i KNOW its ridiculous, because i've had that bloody many of them done since i was diagnosed, but i can't help it. as soon as it's over i'm perfectly normal (well actually i'm off my head cos then my xanax etc kicks in). i don't even FEEL them.

i just hate, hate, hate having things under my skin- i go crazy if i get a splinter and hack it out with a knife or scissors (never a needle). yeah cos that is acceptable...

ugh, i'm just sick of it being an issue. although, i'm pretty sick of being a lab rat too. i would think it'd have gotten better now that i'm having blood tests all the time instead of barely ever, but it really hasnt.