oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Agoraphobia & Panic Disorder (/f-agoraphobia-panic-disorder)
+--- Thread: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? (/t-what-places-effect-your-agorophobia-the-worst)

Pages: 1 2

What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Ana - 10-28-2007 02:10 AM

Well, I only know a few people who suffer from Agorophobia but all of them have told me that they find that they're ok in certain places and some places really get to them.
So, I was just wondering if anyone here finds that certain places bother them more than others? If so, what places bother you more than the others?

For me, I think noisy crowded places are the worst for me. School has to be the top worst, because I just can't handle sitting in a class. It literaly makes me physicaly sick to be in a classroom. I also find that busy grocery stores, banks and clothing stores bother me.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - beccaebony - 11-17-2007 07:26 PM

this will sound REALLY stupid but petrol stations...

i used to work in one and there was this whole big discrimination thing when my new manager found out i was bipolar and even driving past them sends me into a panic.

i agree with the noisy places thing too. they make the "static" in my head worse and i freak out really badly. you know what i've found helps with that though? my ipod. i LOVE it. a few months ago i was so bad with the noisy place thing i couldn't even go to the doctors without losing the plot. i listen to classical music on full volume and it helps a lot.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Ana - 11-19-2007 09:25 AM

beccaebony Wrote:i agree with the noisy places thing too. they make the "static" in my head worse and i freak out really badly. you know what i've found helps with that though? my ipod. i LOVE it. a few months ago i was so bad with the noisy place thing i couldn't even go to the doctors without losing the plot. i listen to classical music on full volume and it helps a lot.

I like the idea of listening to music; my only problem is that I'm usualy out with other people and I don't want it to seem as if I'm ignoring them.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Michelle161412 - 11-20-2007 05:51 AM

For me it is going to church and going to the stores
Michelle

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - BlackLily - 12-14-2007 09:28 PM

Taking my daughter to school, (I'm looking for a childminder who could pick her up to take to school & pick her up from school & bring her home), Doctor's Surgery, Super Market, Town Centre, local shops, any public places really, esp if there are queues.

The only places I can go without freaking out is family members houses.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Generical - 12-14-2007 10:59 PM

Ive got over the worst of it, sometimes it feels really wierd to walk down the street and not feel anxious......hehe makes me smile i guess. But yeah had to go back into school recently to sort out uni application, i actually couldn't go in on my own, i put it off for several months and had to get my sister to come with me in the end! Is silly really but just can't help it sometimes, anyways im guessing the reason it was bad is because all my fears started at school so when im there all the memories came back. Nowadays the only things that make me anxious are going places or doing something ive never done, i guess am scared of uncertainty.....if i go somewhere i have to know all the details etc. otherwise i worry about tiny things. Getting petrol was the other recent thing that i noticed i had trouble with, ive done it before at a different petrol station but when i plan to go to a new one i'll worry about it for days before..............and screw going to the sameone each time, i try not to let my fears get the better of me, probably why i have grown outta it Big Grin

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - destiny18_au - 12-18-2007 10:04 PM

When I first had agorophobia going anywhere a distance from home would set me off. If it was down the road or to relatives places I would be fine when I got there, but on the trip there and back I would be a complete mess. I got over my agorophobia when I was about 19 now it's come back again in full force because of my phobia and just going out the front door makes me a total wreck.

Destiny.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - BlackLily - 12-18-2007 11:11 PM

Destiny, looks like we are suffering the same. I had a panic attack the night before last just from thinking that I had to go post a ltter in the post box that is outside a house in my street.

I'm definately at the worst point I have ever been with this so I just look at it that it can only get better from now on.

I've beaten the agoraphobia before so I know I can do it again.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - destiny18_au - 12-20-2007 01:43 PM

BlackLily Wrote:Destiny, looks like we are suffering the same. I had a panic attack the night before last just from thinking that I had to go post a ltter in the post box that is outside a house in my street.

I'm definately at the worst point I have ever been with this so I just look at it that it can only get better from now on.

I've beaten the agoraphobia before so I know I can do it again.

Hi BlackLily at least you kind of have an advantage over me at the moment. I can't walk well it's part of my other phobia. I have a fear of getting cramps,legs,toes and feet cramps I start to panic it has been built up in my head for a couple of months now and it's not medical been down to the doctors/hospitals they thought it was my Lupus or so many other things but they couldn't tell me why I kept getting them or why I kept feeling pain whilst walking. They gave me a few pain killers and then right at the end decided that I shouldn't be on them. What calming meds do you take before you go out the door ? I went out the front door for the first time this week in months just up and down my driveway struggling with my thoughts and my walking. I'm on ativan but it's only 1mg so I'm not sure if I should take it or valium which is 5mg. You mentioned you had a daughter how old is she ?

Destiny.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - Shy guy - 12-20-2007 03:13 PM

destiny18_au Wrote:I went out the front door for the first time this week in months just up and down my driveway struggling with my thoughts and my walking.

Congratulations Destiny! =D

Quote:I'm on ativan but it's only 1mg so I'm not sure if I should take it or valium which is 5mg.

1 mg of lorazepam (Ativan) is the equivalent of 10 mg of diazepam (Valium) so the 5 mg of Valium is actually half the potency of the Ativan. Personally I would try the Vallium first combined with what you know about CBT, just make sure you give either med enough time (up to one hour for some people) to take effect. ssmile

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - BlackLily - 12-20-2007 09:45 PM

destiny18_au Wrote:Hi BlackLily at least you kind of have an advantage over me at the moment. I can't walk well it's part of my other phobia. I have a fear of getting cramps,legs,toes and feet cramps I start to panic it has been built up in my head for a couple of months now and it's not medical been down to the doctors/hospitals they thought it was my Lupus or so many other things but they couldn't tell me why I kept getting them or why I kept feeling pain whilst walking. They gave me a few pain killers and then right at the end decided that I shouldn't be on them. What calming meds do you take before you go out the door ? I went out the front door for the first time this week in months just up and down my driveway struggling with my thoughts and my walking. I'm on ativan but it's only 1mg so I'm not sure if I should take it or valium which is 5mg. You mentioned you had a daughter how old is she ?

Destiny.

I'm sorry to hear about your phobia of cramps. That must be terrible Sad Also the pain doesn't sound nice at all. I hope one day you manage to get over it.

I don't have any calming meds at all. I've only got my Citalopram which I take every morning but they are not working at all. I seriously need something to calm me though as even when I think of going outside I get in a panic.

I have a daughter who is 4 & a half & also a 5 month daughter as well.

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - sarah07 - 12-21-2007 12:27 AM

balcklily Wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your phobia of cramps. That must be terrible Sad Also the pain doesn't sound nice at all. I hope one day you manage to get over it.

I don't have any calming meds at all. I've only got my Citalopram which I take every morning but they are not working at all. I seriously need something to calm me though as even when I think of going outside I get in a panic.

I have a daughter who is 4 & a half & also a 5 month daughter as well.

HI there,

I'm new to this forum but have been suffering with agoraphobia for 10 years since I was 14. scry The worse places for me are supermarkets. For me to go shopping, I have to hold onto a trolly or I have no chance. IT's generally all open spaces though. Like I couldn't walk across a large open car park or a school playground. On my really bad days, I find even crossing a wide road difficult. I have come a long way though because when I first started with the phobia, I couldn't even leave the house.

I was on Citalopram at one point but I found that this didn't really do anything for me either. I'm now on Paroxetine which used to be called Seroxat. It helps with my anxiety but the only problem now is that I'm actually addicted to it and get really bad withdrawals if I miss a tablet.

I'm really glad that I found this forum because you do feel alone with agoraphobia as I don't know anybody personally who suffers from it and reading all your posts made me realise that I'm not alone and it is a more common phobia than I thought.

Sarah x

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - BlackLily - 12-21-2007 01:53 AM

Good to meet you Sarah. Wave

Until I joined this forum I didn't know people spoke about things like anxiety/depression/fears as it seems to be something most people keep to themselves. Since I've been registered I come on here every day as I feel I can be myself on here & people understand me.

I'm the only person who I know suffers with agoraphobia so finding other people online has given me an extra boost to help get better.

Make sure you stick around cos this forum is fab!!

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - sarah07 - 12-21-2007 03:21 AM

Wave

Hiya,
It does seem good this forum. I've never really thought about finding one before so I could chat to other people who suffer the same.

How long have you had agoraphobia?

x

Re: What Places Effect Your Agorophobia the Worst? - BlackLily - 12-21-2007 05:30 AM

I've suffered with it on & off 4 about 2 years. Even though I've had panic attacks for longer, it was just over 2 years ago I started getting scared. I've had it on & off & last November it came back with a vengeance & I hardly went over my door until April this year. The fear of going outside went as fast as it came.

The same happened this time. I was going out all the time, no panic attacks & then out of the blue I had a massive panic attack & since then have been petrified of going outside. I can only go 2 my familys houses & will only go in the car with my boyfriend.