oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: How do you feel on crowded public transport? (/t-how-do-you-feel-on-crowded-public-transport)

How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 09-24-2007 06:12 PM

So how do the rest of you feel when you're using crowded public transport, what's going on inside you're head in a situation like this?

Re: How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Shy guy - 09-25-2007 08:45 AM

Jonnyjonny_uk Wrote:So how do the rest of you feel when you're using crowded public transport, what's going on inside you're head in a situation like this?

I just feel the need to escape, yet to a certain extent I can control my fears, It is actually getting on in the first place that is the problem. I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to take a later train because I could not face getting on in the first place. If I do manage to get on the train, after I get off again. and the numbness wears off the thoughts start again. The what is wrong with me and... Well, I am actually getting palpitations now and I am only thinking about it. Which of course is why cognitive based therapies such as CBT are used with SP, OCD and agoraphobia, binge eating and depression rather than analytical or behavioural types.

Re: How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Ellen - 09-30-2007 04:06 AM

I feel very comfortable in this situation cause I have been doing it all my life. That's life in a big city for ya :lol:

Re: How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Emmykins - 09-30-2007 09:21 PM

I'm supposed to get a public bus to college but thankfully they've put me on a special mini bus

Re: How do you feel on crowded public transport? - Broken_Memory - 03-06-2008 11:18 AM

I actually enjoy taking public transit because I find it exciting, however it didn't start out that way. When I was 17 I needed to start taking the bus to school. I remember it took me a week to "properly" do so. I was nervous about pressing the button/pulling the cord for my stop because I had myself convinced that by stopping the bus I'd be making things inconvenient for the other passengers. This is, of course totally ridiculous, but it was how I felt at the time. These days I have become a lot more relaxed on busses and subways, even though I still feel uncomfortable when there's nowhere to sit. I find the 2 things I hate the most about crowded public transport are:

a) I feel like the lighting is unflattering and that people will think I'm unattractive
b) If I have to carry a lot of items I feel like I must look really clumsy

If I am coming back from a gathering with some friends and I've had bit of alcohol that evening, I find it interesting how much more relaxing it is to be on public transit. I often have to try and get myself to put myself in that mode when I'm on the bus or subway the next time and 100% sober lol.