oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of the dark? - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+--- Thread: Fear of the dark? (/t-fear-of-the-dark)

Fear of the dark? - mistresseliza - 08-12-2007 03:38 PM

Alright, so I don't know why, but I am SO terrified of the dark. I am 15 and I sleep with a nightlight. And I go spelunking in the hills a lot but really, it scares me so much. Especially because in the caves, when you get inside it and can't see the surface anymore, you have no way of guessing what is down there and what you might see, not to mention the floor might not be there about two steps in front of you. But I used to be fine with being in the dark... actually I used to thrive out of walking or running when it is just pitch black and no moon or stars or lights, but now I just freak out if I don't have some sort of light with me... But what is probably even more weird, is that I can't give up exploring caves, so I go spelunkig with my uncle all the time, even though I know it is putting me in a situation where our flashlights migh stop working and I will be trapped with just a rope to lead me back to the surface in the pitch black. And sometimes if it is a flat cave we have been to before we don't even use rope, so I would be unable to find my way back out, and I still do it all the time.

Re: Fear of the dark? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 08-12-2007 07:22 PM

Im really surprised how you can manage to go down in the caves when your afraid of being crushed, afraid of being in enclosed spaces and afraid of the dark. That shows how passionate you are about what you do and who knows maybe it will help conquer your fears eventually.

Re: Fear of the dark? - mistresseliza - 08-14-2007 11:18 AM

Yea, actually that is what I was hoping would happen... one summer I just was like terrified of going down and before that I hadn't been afraid at all... but my uncle urged me to get back into it and I tried it and have been hoping that someday it will be better, but I think it might make it worse... I don't know but maybe I am just crazy for doing it still...

Re: Fear of the dark? - Jonnyjonny_uk - 08-23-2007 09:15 AM

If its something you enjoy and your able to do it then I would carry on.

Re: Fear of the dark? - Ana - 10-28-2007 06:02 AM

I have a fear of the dark. I wouldn't call it a phobia, just a fear.

Re: Fear of the dark? - dannyboi - 03-31-2009 07:20 PM

I've found that I have a bad fear of the dark. I usually rush in and back whenever I have to do something.

It's probably to do with my imagination. The dark is bad in that you can't really see what's beyond 5 metre's or so clearly, so you try to think of what might be there. I usually end up imagining that something/someone is out there to harm me, but of course there is nothing really there!

My logic says that there isn't anything there, but once I'm in the dark, I start to imagine...
It's pretty damn annoying.

Are there tips on overcoming this? I've heard gradual exposure to the dark may be helpful. I'm fine if I'm walking home from the station in the dark, but it's bad when I'm in my backyard with dark garages/sheds and trees.

Re: Fear of the dark? - jaimee - 04-02-2009 02:39 AM

dannyboi Wrote:I've found that I have a bad fear of the dark. I usually rush in and back whenever I have to do something.

It's probably to do with my imagination. The dark is bad in that you can't really see what's beyond 5 metre's or so clearly, so you try to think of what might be there. I usually end up imagining that something/someone is out there to harm me, but of course there is nothing really there!

My logic says that there isn't anything there, but once I'm in the dark, I start to imagine...
It's pretty damn annoying.

Are there tips on overcoming this? I've heard gradual exposure to the dark may be helpful. I'm fine if I'm walking home from the station in the dark, but it's bad when I'm in my backyard with dark garages/sheds and trees.

I am also scared of the dark, and i also imagine things that are not there, i laugh at myself when i have to run and turn the light on only to find out it was a towel or something.

Re: Fear of the dark? - dannyboi - 04-03-2009 01:01 PM

Been there done that Tongue

Most of the time though, it's not seeing something that's the problem. You can't tell what's out there, that's why you come up with all different scenarios, most of which are pretty stupid in my case I have to say.

Re: Fear of the dark? - jaimee - 04-03-2009 02:23 PM

haha

fear of the unknown!