oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of members of the opposite sex - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: People & Places (/f-people-places)
+--- Thread: Fear of members of the opposite sex (/t-fear-of-members-of-the-opposite-sex)

Fear of members of the opposite sex - Guest - 07-25-2007 08:46 PM

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out more about people with a fear of men or fear of women. I believe they are called androphobia and gynophobia respectively. They must be particularly debilitating - and, probably rare - but if anyone knows anything about these conditions, I'd love to hear from you.

I am from the media but be reassured that I am NOT looking for anyone to participate in a programme or magazine article. I have the Administrator's permission to post here.

I would love to hear from anyone with any information or opinions on this condition.

With many thanks and best wishes
Rosie

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:rosie.walsh@endemoluk.com">rosie.walsh@endemoluk.com</a><!-- e -->

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - blob chops uk - 08-05-2007 01:08 AM

I would like to express my opinions on it.
I think it comes from people having different problems, and when a girl has a problem that only girls have, she speaks to a girl, same with boys. But I think its when somebody gets to the certain piont when they cant speak to anyone of the opposite sex about anything, in fear that they won't understand, even if it is something that both boys and girls experience.

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - DragonArtist - 02-18-2008 08:48 PM

I hope people don't mind me posting in this older post.

I am afraid of all people, but males around the same age as me are the worst. Even if I can see them in the distance, my heart starts pounding and I start trembling and feel a lot of fear. Even worse if they are close by. Apparently, I'm a target for guys to yell out and make comments and whistle at, so much so that I can't even walk along the street without it happening often. I hate the thought of them looking at me, it terrifies me. Once a group of guys said 'hi' to me and I was so struck with surprise and fear that I ignored them so they started throwing broken glass bottle pieces at my head. Sad

I feel fear around all people, but this group in particular. I think it's normal for people to feel nervous or shy around the opposite sex... but I will go to great lengths to avoid them, and it's not shyness, it's terror. A lot of males also tend to tease females, and that just makes things a heck of a lot worse.

I don't mean to offend anyone with all this (I have indeed discovered decent guys who are not as scary), this is just the experiences that I have personally put up with.

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-18-2008 08:52 PM

Hi Dragonartist and of course we dont mind you replying to older posts, its actually good.

Im sorry to hear you suffer so much with this fear and you certainly wont be offending anyone as im sure people can relate. Of course maybe not to your level but I can imagine lots of people dread walking past guys in groups or single. Unfortunately there are a few that like to taunt girls and give them a hard time but as im sure you are aware not all are like this. Have you ever thought about seeking help with this phobia?

Its nice to see you taking part with the discussions by the way Big Grin

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - DragonArtist - 02-18-2008 09:00 PM

You're right, not all of them are like that. For one thing, I have a really wonderful boyfriend and a few guys I have befriended online are great people. But some you meet on the street or even at church... argh.

I have started getting treatment, finally. The last two weeks I have been assessed by a doctor and am starting therapy this week. I also read quite a few self help books and compared to how I was 4 years ago, I have vastly improved. Smile

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - Jonnyjonny_uk - 02-18-2008 09:18 PM

Thats great you have a wonderful boyfriend to help and support you. At least you are aware not everyone is like that as some people can believe everyone is like it.

Its encouraging to hear things are improving already and im sure after therapy and the help you get here things will improve more and more.

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - Irate. - 04-09-2008 09:47 AM

i kinda have a fear of rejection.. not entirely the opposite sex.. as i can talk to girls easy.. but when it comes to maybe getting serious.. or asking someone on a date.. or anything remotely similar.. i freeze up.. go bright red.. and feel like shutting myself away

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - twistedarc - 09-02-2008 02:04 PM

Fear of the opposite sex. Most males have a sort of fear of women. Like irate said fear of rejection. This fear is hard wired into our brains as a sort of survival tool that modern society has deemed unnecessary. You get rejected now you can move on. Learn. but before when groups of people where smaller, forgive the word but tribe like, if you made a move on the wrong female and were unsuccessful, your genes were probably just weeded out. This is a short version of how I’ve tried to tell a few of my more shy friends to just let go

But there is also the validation issue I’ve seen. Some guys just like to feel worth something and they want the female to make them feel that way. That’s not so much fear of rejection . . . it's something else

Re: Fear of members of the opposite sex - Shinobi - 09-02-2008 02:38 PM

I'm afraid of both sconfused Well, actually, I'm not afraid of them, I'm afraid of making a fool out of myself because I have zero social skills.. sconfused

But yeah, I have more trouble being around girls...If I see a girl my age I'll literally start blushing.. sconfused

Oops