oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Inspirational Stories - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: General Phobia (/f-general-phobia)
+--- Thread: Inspirational Stories (/t-inspirational-stories)

Inspirational Stories - Ana - 06-04-2007 09:08 PM

Do you have an inspirational story that deals with phobia/anxiety disorders? Would you like to share it?
If you've overcome your anxiety disorder/phobia, please share your story! Even if your struggling to overcome them, please post your story!

- Rick61701 - 06-05-2007 03:43 AM

Ana,

I have helped many of my clients overcome these issues. But I don't think that's what your looking for.

Rick

- Ana - 06-06-2007 06:34 AM

Rick61701 Wrote:Ana,

I have helped many of my clients overcome these issues. But I don't think that's what your looking for.

Rick

Well, I'm glad that you've helped many people overcome these issues!
Really, I'm just looking for a few inspirational stories because it interests me to hear how other people deal with and get over their issues!

Story - Rick61701 - 06-12-2007 04:03 AM

Well if nobody is going to post about their stories, I will post one of my clients.

I had a man come to me who hadn't been to the dentist in many many years. He told me he had a fear of going to the dentist. Not when he was in the chair. He stated that he would feel the fear hit him when he was on his way, and when he got into the chair he was fine.

Well I desided to start off with a progressive desensitation process to see where that led us. During the process he would start to visually shake when he had been in the chair for a few minutes. I was kind of lost for a minute. He told me his issue was getting there, not in the chair. We went thru the procedure a couple of times and it wasn't getting any better. So I asked him when he started to shake what was happening. He stated "The mask" !!! I said "The mask the dentist is wearing"? He said "No the one on me!!!!" I thought???? How can he be wearing a mask if he is getting dental work done?? Well as it turns out, the dentist he had been to a few times in the past used a "towel" with a hole in it to cover your entire head while they were working in your mouth. They said it was to keep debris from getting all over you. So now that we knew what the "REAL" fear was, we dealt with that. He went to the dentist the next week and had no problems at all......

This just goes to show you, that sometimes when you think you know what your fears are and what causes them. Your Wrong.

Rick

Re: Story - Ana - 06-14-2007 09:18 PM

Rick61701 Wrote:Well if nobody is going to post about their stories, I will post one of my clients.

I had a man come to me who hadn't been to the dentist in many many years. He told me he had a fear of going to the dentist. Not when he was in the chair. He stated that he would feel the fear hit him when he was on his way, and when he got into the chair he was fine.

Well I desided to start off with a progressive desensitation process to see where that led us. During the process he would start to visually shake when he had been in the chair for a few minutes. I was kind of lost for a minute. He told me his issue was getting there, not in the chair. We went thru the procedure a couple of times and it wasn't getting any better. So I asked him when he started to shake what was happening. He stated "The mask" !!! I said "The mask the dentist is wearing"? He said "No the one on me!!!!" I thought???? How can he be wearing a mask if he is getting dental work done?? Well as it turns out, the dentist he had been to a few times in the past used a "towel" with a hole in it to cover your entire head while they were working in your mouth. They said it was to keep debris from getting all over you. So now that we knew what the "REAL" fear was, we dealt with that. He went to the dentist the next week and had no problems at all......

This just goes to show you, that sometimes when you think you know what your fears are and what causes them. Your Wrong.

Rick

Wow, that's amazing!
I've never thought of that; that some of my fears might not be of what I think they are about.
Huh, now I have alot of thinking to do! :lol: