oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Rant about - People and places - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Community (/f-community)
+--- Forum: oFear Rant Room (/f-ofear-rant-room)
+--- Thread: Rant about - People and places (/t-rant-about-people-and-places)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Counterproductive Phobia Advice - Words Waywith - 05-26-2007 03:54 PM

Probably all of us have received ridiculous advice from people as far as how to deal with our phobias. Here are some of the unhelpful things people have told me as a way to solve my phobia{#1}
Followed by my sarcastic remark to these people{#2}
{I added some playful exaggeration on some of these.}

1. "Don't worry about it"

2. UHHHH...The whole basis of a phobia is worrying about it. If not worrying was an option, I would have chosen it long before I fainted all those times. Quite possibly the next time you call me, I won't worry about anwering the phone!

It is also not helpful when they try to tell you how whatever your phobia is, is just a part of life. Some of them even elaborate on how whatever you are phobic about is no big deal to them...

1. "You don't like needles? They don't bother me. I actually prefer to wake up in the morning and inject coffee directly into my bloodstream, because it wakes me up quicker, and that way I don't burn the roof of my mouth!
Needles actually feel pleasant to me. Getting blood drawn is a great way is a great way to lose weight, and it is like getting a partial acupuncture!!

2. Thanks for the info! It makes me feel great to know that my biggest fear is something that you almost enjoy. You really should get a job writing Hallmark cards, because you are a real pick me up!

A lot of times, people will try to make me feel guilty for not donating blood.

1. "You should overcome your fear and donate! Blood supplies are really depleted and your blood could really save someone in an emergency!"

2. First of all, you self righteous pin cushion, there are many ways to help charities, so if I decide to help another charity because donating blood will traumatize me for the rest of the life, that's my decision.
Second of all, Mr Charity, the cannibal pygmies of the Bolocko-tebba-neenie river delta are starving because travel agencies will no longer bring unsuspecting tourists to that area, because their clients getting eaten has caused a serious dip in sales! You should go there and help them. First though, smear yourself in butter and put some mustard on your neck. It's a Bolocko-tebba-neenie tradition for guests to marinate themselves as a sign of respect for the tribal elders.

I thought some of you might relate to this, that's why I wrote it.
{Just so you know, I might expand this and turn it into a blog, so if you see it anywhere else on the net, I posted it here first.}

- Barrucadu - 05-26-2007 07:05 PM

Another one is:

"Its only a spider"
I KNOW! GET IT AWAY!

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-26-2007 07:57 PM

I was a cluster headache sufferer and if you know anything about them or have suffered from them before you will know how I felt when people said "oh its just a headache" :evil:

Hot water!!! - Jonnyjonny_uk - 07-13-2007 06:24 AM

All I want is some hot water so I can have a nice shower or bath!!!!!!

They turn the hot water off here in Moscow for 3 weeks every summer and its driving me crazy boiling kettles and pans of water!!!!! Turn our water back on NOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Ok im better now Big Grin

- Lolly - 07-13-2007 09:00 AM

Ya know I didn't want to mention it but I did wonder where that smell was coming from :lol: :lol:

John, why do they turn the water off? Is it an old custom or something?!

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 07-13-2007 10:31 PM

Well if the wind is in the right direction I wouldnt be surprised Lolly :lol:

Its luckily not a custom because if it was that would make it even worse lol!!! They turn the water of to do routine maintenance on it. Each flat doesnt have its own boiler or water heater and instead its heated from a main building close by and them pumped into all the flats. The same goes for the heating, that gets turned off once the temperature reaches a certain level for a few days. Some people install a seperate water heater just for the three weeks their without but the cost is too much to warrant it I think personally.

- Lolly - 07-13-2007 10:52 PM

Ah right I get you. Still, while they're looking after your water works, so to speak :wink: you're not likely to get burst pipes over the winter are you?

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 07-13-2007 11:02 PM

Thats true actually. I dont think many central heating systems in England would like -30 :lol: Only 1 more day to go because its supposed to be back on Sunday. Got the day planned already, bath followed by shower followed by bath and then finish off with a shower followed by a bath :lol:

Re: Hot water!!! - Ana - 07-19-2007 11:00 PM

Jonnyjonny_uk Wrote:All I want is some hot water so I can have a nice shower or bath!!!!!!

They turn the hot water off here in Moscow for 3 weeks every summer and its driving me crazy boiling kettles and pans of water!!!!! Turn our water back on NOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Ok im better now Big Grin

:lol: I feel really bad for you!
We had a big black out (electricity was out) a few summers ago and as a result we had no hot water for four days. WE couldn't boil water either. It was really horrible...

Why must girls travel in packs? - Barrucadu - 09-11-2007 07:07 AM

As the title says, why must girls travel in packs? I'm too shy to walk up to a group of girls and talk to the one I like, hence why I sent the email, but she dosn't seem to check her emails very often.

Re: Why must girls travel in packs? - Shy guy - 09-11-2007 07:33 AM

I have often wondered that myself. Smile

Whatever you do though do not approach her in the group unless you are feeling really confident. I know this from experience. =[ The trick is, and this takes confidence too. approach the girls as a group, preferably with a friend who does not come over as too weird and say something simple - "small world isn't it?" "mmm, nice bag" would be good "hello I like your jeans/top/handbag" is apparently a weird thing to say even if your are nervous and feel as if your heart will explode. :mrgreen: Smile at the girl you like then walk on... Do not hang around unless the girls invite you. This may seem odd advice, but if she is interest she will remember you and your cool friend (pay someone to pretend if you have to) and that will have broken the ice. Good luck. Smile

Re: Why must girls travel in packs? - Barrucadu - 09-11-2007 07:38 AM

I think i'll continue trying to catch her when she is alone.

Re: Why must girls travel in packs? - Ana - 09-11-2007 08:51 AM

Both girls and boys travel in packs. It all depends on the person and how social they are. Someone who is really social will travel with a large group someone who is more shy will probably travel with a smaller group.
Well, since I'm a 16 year old girl, I'm going to give you my honest advice/suggestions.

Quote:"mmm, nice bag"

Don't do this. Some girls would be a little weirded out by that. Not all girls, but some.
If your nervous catch her alone, it will make things go alot smoother. If all her friends are around then you'll imagine yourself making a fool of yourself infront of not just her but the entire group.
Like I said, try and catch her on her way to/from the washroom or at her locker if you know where that is. Do you have any classes with this girl? You could possibly use something like that to strike up a convo and then work from there.

Re: Why must girls travel in packs? - Barrucadu - 09-11-2007 05:11 PM

Somehow I don't think clothing-related compliments would work in a school where we wear a uniform.

The conversation would be like this:
"Hey, nice top."
"Umm, it's the same one everyone is wearing."
"So it is. I'll just walk away before I make any more of a fool of myself."

Re: Why must girls travel in packs? - Shy guy - 09-12-2007 06:36 AM

Barrucadu Wrote:Somehow I don't think clothing-related compliments would work in a school where we wear a uniform.

The conversation would be like this:
"Hey, nice top."
"Umm, it's the same one everyone is wearing."
"So it is. I'll just walk away before I make any more of a fool of myself."

:lol: Ah when yo said travelled in packs I though you meant the ones who hang round shopping centres, Macdonald's, bus stops, in fact anywhere there is a bench a pack of girls surround it. :lol:

All I can say is thank goodness you listened to Ana rather than me; commenting on the school uniform is never considered cool. :mrgreen: