oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Holiday to Bahamas... - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Fear of Flying (/f-fear-of-flying)
+--- Thread: Holiday to Bahamas... (/t-holiday-to-bahamas)

Holiday to Bahamas... - Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-23-2007 05:36 AM

If your best friend offered to pay for you to fly to the Bahamas for 2 weeks on an all inclusive holiday could you go? Would you be able to even consider it?

- Lolly - 05-23-2007 05:06 PM

I'd be off like a shot :lol:

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-23-2007 05:07 PM

Yes but do you have aerophobia? lol!!!

- Lolly - 05-23-2007 05:25 PM

I do to a certain extent but I can make myself go into a weird state where I go with the flow. It gets me through alot of things.

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-23-2007 05:59 PM

Hmmm sounds an interesting state to be in!!! You are very lucky to be able to do this. I guess having an offer like this would sort out the real bad phobics from the mild ones. Or maybe cure you completely Smile

- Lolly - 05-23-2007 07:32 PM

Or maybe those who want to get better and will do anything they can?

I've travelled on a plane a few times and it never cured me. I always think I was just lucky, rather than thinking ''I did and can do it again''
Does that make any sense? Smile

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-25-2007 06:38 PM

I think it just all depends on how bad your fear is. I know lots of people who say they have a phobia of flying and yet always fly, I would say there just scared of flying. Maybe im wrong but what would you if you had a phobia of flying you could fly??

- Lolly - 05-25-2007 10:41 PM

That's a tough one John.
You can still be agoraphobic and go outside. You can be a boat phobic (me) and still get on the ferry.
You might be needle phobic but be diabetic and have to have needles.
I am afraid of flying. Scared stiff sometimes but if I didn't force myself, then I wouldn't do it and I risk a panic attack rather than let myself down.
I have learned to control my attacks over the years.
This is just me you understand.
At the height of my agoraphobia, I was taken and put on a plane. Being taken out was terrifying and I flew too. It didn't cure me of either but I had to do it.
Now, I am still afraid of flying, well crashing :lol: but I do it for myself and my children. They think I'm big brave Mum but if they can't see how afraid I am then it's worth it.
Sorry if that's not making any sense John Big Grin

- Jonnyjonny_uk - 05-26-2007 03:38 AM

That made perfect sense Smile I just wanted to hear it from someone that actually had a phobia of flying because I have heard so many people use the term "phobia" so loosely. They mean they just dont enjoy it really.

Im sure you are very brave and you should be proud of yourself just like your kids are Smile Good on ya!!!

- Lolly - 05-29-2007 08:43 AM

I'm proud of the fact my kids seem to be pretty well rounded.
I'm a big believer in phobias and such being *learned*
I know I learnt too much to live a normal life. There's no way I want that for my children.

Re: Holiday to Bahamas... - Ana - 08-29-2007 12:17 PM

Jonnyjonny_uk Wrote:If your best friend offered to pay for you to fly to the Bahamas for 2 weeks on an all inclusive holiday could you go? Would you be able to even consider it?

Honestly, I'd probably sit for a few days pondering weather or not to go. Then I'd realize that I had to go in a plane and then I'd simply say no way.
I've never been on a plane but my fear of heights is enough to tell me that there's no way I'd be able to fly!
The thought of flying in a plain over a huge body of water just sends chills down my back. There's no way I'd be able to sit in a plain while knowing that.
So, yes I'd be able to consider it but no, I would not go.