oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
A very important poll - round three! - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Community (/f-community)
+--- Forum: oFear Cafe (/f-ofear-cafe)
+--- Thread: A very important poll - round three! (/t-a-very-important-poll-round-three)

Pages: 1 2

A very important poll - round three! - Harold-L - 05-11-2011 05:21 PM

Since we don't want Snooks to eat them, this week our contestants are all vegetables.Cool
Now lets just hope there are some veggies in the list...Undecided
*looks*
Well that was hard!

Here are our contestants:
Icon_cherry Happy1 Coffee2 Icon_flower Occasion14

And since some people seem to consider tuna a vegetable:
Fish

All of these are plant based, so this will have to do.

This week's question: Whom would you rather be friends with?

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Snooks - 05-11-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:And since some people seem to consider tuna a vegetable:

Doh! Its got gills, a brain, a heart........ how the hell can it be a vege? RAFLMAO

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Snooks - 05-11-2011 07:38 PM

Coffee Blob5

I luvre coffee *slurps greedily*

More please? Smile

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Harold-L - 05-11-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:Doh! Its got gills, a brain, a heart........ how the hell can it be a vege? RAFLMAO
It's all a matter of perspective.Wink

Quote:Coffee Blob5

I luvre coffee *slurps greedily*

More please? Smile
I'm glad we agree for once!
Coffee is what makes life bearable in the morning.Cool

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Ana - 05-12-2011 02:20 AM

(05-11-2011 07:36 PM)Snooks Wrote:  
Quote:And since some people seem to consider tuna a vegetable:

Doh! Its got gills, a brain, a heart........ how the hell can it be a vege? RAFLMAO

I don't know, but some people seem to think it is. Dodgy Every time I tell someone I'm a vegetarian, the first thing most people ask is if I eat chicken. I then tell them I eat no meat what so ever. Then, the next questions is if I eat fish.

Anyways, I'd like to be friends with the flower. Cool He/she looks friendly.

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Harold-L - 05-12-2011 05:48 AM

Quote:I don't know, but some people seem to think it is. Dodgy Every time I tell someone I'm a vegetarian, the first thing most people ask is if I eat chicken. I then tell them I eat no meat what so ever. Then, the next questions is if I eat fish.
And when you say that you don't eat fish, they offer you a sandwich with ham in it.Cool

Quote:Anyways, I'd like to be friends with the flower. Cool He/she looks friendly.
Flowers attract bees. He's not friend material if you ask me.Undecided

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Snooks - 05-12-2011 07:34 PM

It always amuses me when vegetarians buy "imitation meat", you know the sort i mean. Ive never tried it and ive only seen it on supermarket shelves.

I dont think true Veges do...my friend who is a Vege dosent and he always says its only "Imitation Veges" that buy that stuff. But he eats like a cow in both volume and choice of food.

I need to convince him that a Hamburger with Bacon, Egg & Cheese is a really tasty item Smile

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Harold-L - 05-12-2011 09:05 PM

I don't really see why so many people complain about "mock-meat" products. I've heard many say that vegetarians who eat mock-meat products are being hypocrites, but I don't really see the logic in that statement.Undecided
The thing with those products is that: one, they make the transition from being a meat eater into being a vegetarian easier. Two, they make it easier to incorporate oneself into a meat-eating society, since you don't have to stick out so much. If a meat eater wants to cook for you, they can use a mock-meat product instead of having to come up with a whole new recipe just for you. Finally, who's to say that a sausage or a burger needs to be made out of meat? It's simply a shape that you give your food. Why not shape your beans, veggies, or whatever into those same forms?

You become a vegetarian because you want to avoid eating meat for one reason or another. So I don't really see how you'd be a "fake-vegetarian" for eating those products. I mean, you're not eating meat, how could you not be one?Undecided
I personally try to use as few of those products as possible, as I don't really consider them to be the healthiest alternative out there. But if I need something quick and easy, I'll cook myself some soy sausages. And I make my own tofu-burgers that are to die for. Cool

...why do these polls always lead to odd, off-topic discussions like these?Laughing6
Gooooo Coffee!

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Ana - 05-13-2011 12:49 AM

(05-12-2011 07:34 PM)Snooks Wrote:  It always amuses me when vegetarians buy "imitation meat", you know the sort i mean. Ive never tried it and ive only seen it on supermarket shelves.

I dont think true Veges do...my friend who is a Vege dosent and he always says its only "Imitation Veges" that buy that stuff. But he eats like a cow in both volume and choice of food.

I need to convince him that a Hamburger with Bacon, Egg & Cheese is a really tasty item Smile

Although we're all entitled to our own opinion and I know that many vegetarians and carnivores share the same opinion as you and your friend... I disagree. I don't disagree just for my own sake either. I ate meat for 18 years and never saw anything 'fake' about eating simulated meat products then. As Krakow explained, vegetarians live in the same fast paced world that everyone else does. Simulated meat products make life easier for us just like sandwich meat or burgers make life easier for everyone else. And I understand that there are other easier alternatives out there besides simulated meat products... but it's the whole mentality of our society. I'd find it easier to cook up a mock burger than to throw together a stir fry, even though I know that they take around the same time to make.

Plus, people need to keep in mind that vegetarians become vegetarians for different reasons. Yes, many become vegetarians because they dislike meat/don't agree with eating meat, but there are some, like myself, that don't fall into that category. I disagree with factory farming, not meat consumption all together. If I lived on a farm that raised cattle, etc, I'd probably still eat meat. So, I'm not against eating meat at all. I still get strong cravings for meat. With a ham sandwich being mentioned, I craved one. But, due to not wanting to support factory farming, the best I can do right now is a mock ham sandwich. The simulated meat products at least help keep my cravings at bay a bit.

At the end of the day, I feel very strongly about what I'm doing. Even if I'm considered a fake vegetarian. All that matters is that I'm proud of what I'm doing.

And sorry if you feel as if that little 'rant' is directed at you Snooks. I mean no disrespect. I respect your opinion as much as I respect my own. But, with such differing opinions... I felt the need to put my two cents in.

(05-12-2011 05:48 AM)Harold-L Wrote:  
Quote:Anyways, I'd like to be friends with the flower. Cool He/she looks friendly.
Flowers attract bees. He's not friend material if you ask me.Undecided

I didn't think about that! Confused I have a phobia of bees! I don't want a friend that attracts them!

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Snooks - 05-13-2011 05:11 AM

Quote:At the end of the day, I feel very strongly about what I'm doing. Even if I'm considered a fake vegetarian. All that matters is that I'm proud of what I'm doing.

And sorry if you feel as if that little 'rant' is directed at you Snooks. I mean no disrespect. I respect your opinion as much as I respect my own. But, with such differing opinions... I felt the need to put my two cents in.

No problems and obviously i knew that both you and Harold would react as the "combined vege force" against the "carnivore". Like ive said before, you both think very much alike and any comments generally result in a "two prong offensive" LOL.

You should be very proud of who you are and what you do. Perhaps i didnt explain myself properly, though your reply exlained it for me. Smile

What i meant was that i and many others, cant see why a Vegetariran consumes imitation meat products when being a vegetarian, is basically like being against consuming meat. I now understand, or think i do, that you are more against the other issues than the actual taste of the meat. Smile

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Ana - 05-13-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:No problems and obviously i knew that both you and Harold would react as the "combined vege force" against the "carnivore". Like ive said before, you both think very much alike and any comments generally result in a "two prong offensive" LOL.

So, you knew what you were getting into when you posted that, eh? Laughing6 You're daring.

Anyways, actually, me and Krakow don't really see eye to eye on the whole vegetarian thing. Although we're both vegetarians, I think our reasoning is slightly different. But, we're both vegetarians. So, of course we have to stand up for our kind!

Quote:You should be very proud of who you are and what you do. Perhaps i didnt explain myself properly, though your reply exlained it for me.

What i meant was that i and many others, cant see why a Vegetariran consumes imitation meat products when being a vegetarian, is basically like being against consuming meat. I now understand, or think i do, that you are more against the other issues than the actual taste of the meat.

Yeah, I think you get my reasoning. Tongue And I can understand why carnivores would come to that conclusion. Most people only see vegetarians as having a belief that eating meat is wrong. I think that's because most vegetarians do feel that way, but not all do. So, people need to try and be aware of that.

And, so that I don't get myself in trouble... whatever a vegetarians beliefs are, I still don't see consuming simulated meat products as making them a fake vegetarian. Just to make that clear. Laughing6

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Slaka - 05-14-2011 04:21 AM

I vote for beer. I drink rather often. Granted some days I just NEED coffee, but thats not to often.

I also do not believe for one second that if you eat tuna you are a vegatarian. I don't eat most animals but still eat some and of course can't call myself a vegatarian. A fish is still alive.

On that note, I wish I was able to be vegatarian and should try some mock meats even though they sound pretty gross. The commercial farming of animals is horrible (no one can argue that) and I really wish I could eat my food without it being a dead animal. Props to you two doing that and standing up for what you believe in!

I still can't let go of eating cow and pig. All other animals I don't eat. But I like burgers and ham and bacon and stuff too much and I'm such a picky eater that I think without that I would probably be left hungry all the time since I don't like vegies much.

Oh, another note on "mock-meat"- I think its odd that some people are against it like it makes you not as "pure" as other vegatarians. Its not meat and "no animals were harmed in the making of this product". Isn't that kinda what being vegatarian comes down to in the first place (generally speaking).

Topic specifically not about meat turns into a topic of meat. Gotta love it. ROFL.

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Harold-L - 05-14-2011 05:43 AM

Beer? Well, apparently you're a drunkard. So your vote doesn't count.Dodgy
Go Coffee!!

Anyway, I agree that mock-meat products seem creepy at first. I was really creeped out the first time I tried one, and it took me some time to get used to them. Once you find products that you like, it's not that difficult to get used to them though. Some products aren't that great, but some taste and feel like the real thing.Blob5
And, taking what they put into sausages these days into consideration, a soy-sausage is much less creepy than a "real" sausage.Undecided

Anyway, if you do wish that you could become a veggie Slaka, you could try to change your habits slowly. Try to simply cut out meat from a few meals here and there, try some veggie recipes, maybe some mock-meat products too. Experiment. If there are some things like hamburgers that you think you'll miss, try to find a replacement for them. As I mentioned, I make a tofu burger myself that I personally feel is really good. There are a lot of bean burgers out there that are really good too.
And even if you don't become a complete vegetarian, the less meat one eats the better. There's no need to completely cut it out of your diet if you don't feel that's possible. People generally eat too much meat though, so it'd be a good thing if everyone could try to eat a few more meals that don't contain any meat products.Undecided

And, did you vote for the Cherry Cowie? Really? Your ideal friend is a cherry?Dodgy

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Jas - 05-14-2011 08:13 AM

POPCORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: A very important poll - round three! - Snooks - 05-14-2011 08:48 AM

Good Morning Jaz. You always sound so excited, happy and energetic (LOL)

Love hot popcorn and a good DVD. Smile