oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Interesting article on social phobia medications - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: Interesting article on social phobia medications (/t-interesting-article-on-social-phobia-medications)

Interesting article on social phobia medications - profx - 06-18-2011 01:58 AM

Originally posted on livestrong.com: http://www.livestrong.com/article/84035-anxiety-medications-social-phobia/

for those who are too lazy to click a link Rollinglol :

Quote:Social phobia, also termed social anxiety disorder, severely affects the patient's ability to function in social situations. A patient with this type of anxiety disorder experiences excessive self-consciousness, intense worry, twitching and rapid breathing when faced with social interactions. Although therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, takes care of the cause of social phobia, medication can lessen the severity of the symptoms and helps the patient interact with other people.
Antidepressants
Antidepressants, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), are safe and effective in treating the symptoms of social phobia, according to the Mayo Clinic. Examples include paroxetine, fluoxetine, sertraline and fluvoxamine. Another antidepressant option is venlafaxine, a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). These two types of antidepressants work by preventing norepinephrine and/or serotonin from being recycled, which leaves more to be used by the brain. HelpGuide adds that three specific antidepressants---venlafaxine, sertraline and paroxetine---are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of social phobias; other antidepressants are prescribed off-label. Although antidepressants are effective, they can take up to three months to take full effect.

Beta Blockers
Beta blockers, another medication option for social phobias, are not meant for daily treatment of symptoms. These medications work by interfering in the effects of adrenaline, which controls the physical symptoms of social phobias, such as the trembling and rapid heart rate. A patient with a social phobia would take a beta blocker before a particular situation, such as meeting a new person or giving a public speech. The Anxiety Disorders Association of America states that propranolol, prazosin and atenolol are examples of beta blockers.
Benzodiazepines
Benzodiazepines are fast-acting anti-anxiety medications that act on the GABA receptor, which is the same receptor for alcohol. As a result, benzodiazepines can be addictive and are not prescribed to a social phobia patient unless she does not have a history with addiction, does not respond to other medications and is using the medication only for a short-term basis. Examples of benzodiazepines are lorazepam, alprazolam, flurazepam, diazepam, clonazepam, clorazepate, triazolam, oxazepam, chlordiazepoxide and temazepam

Feel free to comment 005_ssmile

RE: Interesting article on social phobia medications - Globetrotter - 06-22-2011 08:28 AM

I subscribe to the theory that a combination of CBT and medication is probably the best way forward in treating this all-emcompassing of disorders.

Having said that, of the antidepressants I've tried in the past (the newer style ones - Prozac, Citalopram & Zoloft), I never found them to be much cop.

RE: Interesting article on social phobia medications - Snooks - 06-22-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:I never found them to be much cop.

Was that because of the side effects or they simply didnt help?

RE: Interesting article on social phobia medications - Slaka - 06-24-2011 02:13 PM

From my understanding (what I heard from my doc) with antidepressants we already know its pretty hit and miss. So you have to go through the list of trying the different kinds and one should hopefully help you. But the thing I didn't know was that if you tried many and they have not helped then often doctors will start with anti-psychotic medications which in many cases will help with the depression problem.

Just thought it was interesting. But the medications are always a difficult process.

RE: Interesting article on social phobia medications - Globetrotter - 06-29-2011 08:29 AM

(06-22-2011 04:24 PM)Snooks Wrote:  
Quote:I never found them to be much cop.

Was that because of the side effects or they simply didnt help?

They simply didn't help.

(06-24-2011 02:13 PM)Slaka Wrote:  From my understanding (what I heard from my doc) with antidepressants we already know its pretty hit and miss. So you have to go through the list of trying the different kinds and one should hopefully help you. But the thing I didn't know was that if you tried many and they have not helped then often doctors will start with anti-psychotic medications which in many cases will help with the depression problem.

Just thought it was interesting. But the medications are always a difficult process.

I think it is definitely a hit and miss process.

In terms of what medication a doctor is willing to prescribe, not only does it depend upon the country's health care system, but at what surgery/ hospital you happen to go to - I remember once asking my doctor if I could try one of the older style antidepressents, and he declined, saying how he would get in trouble if he did so.