oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of my own organs?! - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+--- Thread: Fear of my own organs?! (/t-fear-of-my-own-organs)

Fear of my own organs?! - evelyn-v - 01-08-2012 04:17 PM

This completely crazy but i have a fear of my organs. Every time someone mentions an organ or blood or veins or whatever I just get reminded that is all inside me and that just really freaks me out and then knowing that i cant escape from it makes it worse and i'll start to have panic attacks. and i really don't think i'll ever be able to have children naturally if the thought of my organs freaks me out i don't know how i'll ever be able to deal with a person growing inside of me. has anyone heard of this? i feel like i'm totally alone with this

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Snooks - 01-08-2012 04:45 PM

Hi and welcome to the forumSmile

Im afraid that i havent heard of this phobia before but there are so many and so many are unusual, its hard to keep track of them all.

When did you first realise that you had a problem? Do you know of anything that could have triggered it off. Have you ever sought professional advice?

You dont have to struggle on your own so please drop by and chat.....at least we understand and you can be assured that we take it very seriously.

Regards
snooks Smile

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Duke - 01-09-2012 09:00 AM

Hello and welcome to oFear evelyn-v.

A part of me wonders if you have a fear of organs (which I'm sorry I haven't heard of) or perhaps more a fear of organ failure (which I believe is very common). Nobody really thinks of them much until they come up in conversation and then it's perfectly normal to wonder about ones own state of health.

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you were at the doctor?

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - monipretzel - 02-23-2014 12:49 AM

I can sort of relate, but I think over time my anxiety is not as bad. I remember in grade school health or science when we would learn about the human body. Learning about organs and how they worked freaked me out. And if they started talking about blood cells and stuff forget it. I would grip the bottom of my chair and feel like my spine was going to just crawl away or like throwing up. I would have to 'go to the bathroom' every time and I'd sit and cry. I could never watch any shows with 'surgeries' even though I knew none of it was real. Everyone just said I was really squeamish. Now that I'm older its more rare for those topics to come up, and oddly enough real blood doesn't bother me. Just talking in detail about what it's made of makes my skin crawl. If I spent any time really thinking about organs and stuff I'd probably get anxious. If my husband said he had a pain and pointed to his torso somewhere it would make my skin crawl to think about what's 'in there' but other than that its more or less avoidable. I do have 2 kids and as long as I didn't think too much about what was going on in there I did ok. My husband knows it makes me anxious and is good with helping quickly think about other things. Not sure how similar that is to your anxieties but I know you are not alone in what freaks you out!

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Evilx3mpire - 12-17-2015 11:32 PM

I have a fear of organs as well, though mine's mostly focused the intestines, my own intestines.

I blame it on watching too many Discovery channel surgery shows and gory movies as a kid. Thinking too hard or seeing bodily organs on a dead or injured person makes me have panic attacks ~ so I can't watch particularly gory movies or be exposed to images or actual events where people are that injured. It freaks me out.

It also freaks me out that, as humans, we literally have no protective layer ~ so if I was stabbed, I could easily be gutted and live my worst nightmare.

Pregnancy scares the crap out of me too ~ but not because there's a baby growing in there, squishing everything. C-Section is the concept that scares me the most. I've heard stories where they cut moms open, completely conscious (just with a curtain in between) and put their organs aside in bowls while they remove the baby. Surgery scares me enough, and to think that I'd be conscious (numbed, of course) throughout that procedure makes me squirm. Even if you're numbed, you won't feel the pain, but you'll feel things. You'll feel the pull of your organs as they shuffle things around in there. Just UGH.

Blood, however, does not bother me. It's just the thought of squirmy organs in there that gets to me, and the fact that there's really not much separating them from the outside. If I had a hard-layered shell, maybe I'd feel better.

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - StoryEnthusiast - 03-15-2016 07:23 PM

I created this account just to reply to this, because you are not alone:

I usually don't have issues with anxiety, but when people mention organs, blood, or any biological function, I get tense. I can start to feel the veins beneath my skin, my heart pumping, my lungs moving, everything inside me gets sensitive and I begin to panic. Usually washing my face and hands helps.
While my friends have been supportive, my family thinks I'm making it up, since I didn't have this fear as a kid.
I have wondered for a long time if I was alone on this, but apparently not. Thank you for being you.
On a side note: latin for "organ" is "organum", which would technically make this organophobia? I'm not sure, let me know if I'm wrong.

(01-08-2012 04:17 PM)evelyn-v Wrote:  This completely crazy but i have a fear of my organs. Every time someone mentions an organ or blood or veins or whatever I just get reminded that is all inside me and that just really freaks me out and then knowing that i cant escape from it makes it worse and i'll start to have panic attacks. and i really don't think i'll ever be able to have children naturally if the thought of my organs freaks me out i don't know how i'll ever be able to deal with a person growing inside of me. has anyone heard of this? i feel like i'm totally alone with this

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Panther - 04-01-2016 06:55 PM

It's actually called abodyemigphobia, or sometimes just "body phobia". Abodyemigphobia is the fear of the human body, especially the internal organs and how they work.

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Lucarunge11 - 01-30-2017 09:21 AM

I know I'm like 5 years later but I'm so relieved to know someone else out there had/has this. I'm 14 and have almost the exact same thing you have/had. Just know that you aren't alone and there are probably things to help you if you still have it

RE: Fear of my own organs?! - Broken_Nash - 04-15-2017 08:42 AM

I'm late to this thread too but wanted to post so you know you're not alone. I had a phobia of my internal organs since I was 4 or 5 years old (not a fear of going to the doctor/dentist, which, oddly I wasnt scared of at all unless they had posters of organs up on the wall). The first time I was shown a book with images about the human body, I completely panicked and was terrified that all of those awful-looking organs, veins and muscles were actually inside of me. I remember being disgusted and in complete shock for a long time after that, and the fear just never went away.
I spent a lot of nights lying awake, afraid of my own heartbeat and the thought of blood pumping around my body. To anyone that hasnt experienced this phobia, it must sound pretty silly to be afraid of your own body, but its certainly a real phobia. Anytime I opened a book or did a search online and unexpectedly had some pictures of the human body pop up, I would freak out and get shortness of breath, my heart would start racing and I'd start sweating. I absolutely dreaded having to study human biology whenever the topic came up at school. It sucked, I would think about the amazing jobs I would never be able to do - like being a doctor or a sports physio - because the thought of human organs made me so upset and on edge. My parents had zero patience for it and couldnt understand why I was afraid of model organs, or seeing images of organs on the news or in documentaries.
This continued until I was 20/21 and I started working out. Eventually I wanted to learn more about which exercises work for certain body parts, and which foods would have the best effect on my body. Very, very gradually I started researching into the human body in more and more detail to find out the best ways to improve my lifts. That made a huge difference for me. Even now I still have moments where my heart starts racing if I unexpectedly stumble across a picture online, or if I have certain thoughts about organs, but I can calm myself down within a few seconds now.
I strongly recommend finding a way to link studying the human body to a goal or something you're passionate about. Take it very very slowly, try to expose yourself to it bit by bit, and keep reminding yourself that the more you can learn about your body, the more it will help you achieve that goal. I'm now a certified personal trainer with a psychology degree; both qualifications required in-depth study of human biology. I never would have thought that was possible when I was 18. You can do it too - over time you might even start to become fascinated by how intricate the himan body is.