oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of swallowing pills - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Foods (/f-foods)
+--- Thread: Fear of swallowing pills (/t-fear-of-swallowing-pills)

Fear of swallowing pills - idehi - 02-20-2012 12:20 AM

Hello.

I have a phobia, I'm afraid to swallow pills and such, although I have no problem crushing and tasting the bitterness or having injections, which is absurd to me, because swallowing pills should be a lot easier to get healthy.
I'm afraid of choking, that the pill won't go the right way, and every time I try to take a pill, I get all this negative thoughts of what might happen and I get so scared. Lately I caught a cold, bronchitis and I have to get antibiotics and expectorants twice a day, but I simply freeze at the thought of taking the pills. This is I think the second time time that this is happening, it happened before, last autumn. When my bronchitis evolved into pneumonia. Then I had to take one pill a day, time released, though not so big as these now. So I forced myself to swallow it, even though it took me more than half an hour to get the courage.

How can I get over this? Now I don't even seem to gather the courage to pick up the pills, it feels so hard, my throat tightens and I feel like crying, something that I usually end up doing.

I want to get over it, it really intervenes in my life in a bad way, not allowing me to get healthy. I'm almost 22 and when I think about it, it makes me feel so useless and cry more. Please help.

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Harold-L - 02-20-2012 12:47 AM

Seeing as you're able to crush the pills and swallow them that way, how do you feel about mixing them into your food? Chew your food, and right before swallowing you put your pill in your mouth and swallow it that way. I used to have trouble with pills too when I was a kid, but I was able to consume them that way (after a bit of practice, that is). My issue was just a minor fear though, not an actual phobia. So I realise your problem is probably more serious. Blob5

Anyway, a common way to overcome phobias is through exposure therapy. Basically, the idea is to expose yourself to your fear a small step at a time. I'm no expert, so you might want to google for more information. But if I were you I would start off by swallowing small pieces of something, maybe tiny apple pieces or something. Cut a small piece, and swallow it whole. Once you feel comfortable with pieces of that size you take it up a notch and make the pieces just a little bit bigger. Do it slowly, a few pieces a day, and don't stress it (and obviously don't overdo it, swallowing an entire apple wouldn't be the best idea.:scaredSmile. But yeah, once you're able to swallow apple pieces the size of a pill, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to swallow an actual pill?

Just an idea, but it might be worth a try.

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Globetrotter - 02-23-2012 02:11 AM

Welcome to oFear idehi! Cool

Though my fears are relatively minor, I can relate to this - after being successfully able to swallow cod liver oil capsules for years, in the last few weeks and after one bad experience, it has suddenly become a struggle for me.

Each morning when I go to take the capsule, I have started hesitating and worrying about it. Confused How have I been trying to overcome this? By distracting myself and not paying attention - so far, much easier said than done!

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Slaka - 02-23-2012 08:33 PM

I use to be scared of taking pills. Id get nervous and they would end up getting caught in my throat cuz my throat would tighten and id just feel them siting in my throat. I got over it because I got a throat infection (unrelated) and it was bad I couldn't eat or drink anything cuz it hurt so bad. The antibiotics they gave me were HUGE and I had to get them down somehow. I found the easiest way was to put it in apple sauce or yogurt cuz both of those kinda go down in a "gulp". I was on those 2 times a day for 2 weeks. I now get nervous only when I have to take a big pill but my small ones like allergy medicine or birth control I don't even give a second thought to cuz I've had to take pills like 50 times theresize. Maybe try a pill in something like applesauce or yogurt? It really helped pills go down smoother for mewhen I was nervous (which is the hardest time to take pills).

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - roo - 03-14-2012 09:01 PM

I used to struggle with swallowing pills until i started getting migraines. I did what Slaka did & took some apple puree with it, made the whole thing a lot easier.

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - syn90 - 04-05-2012 11:41 PM

I had this same phobia and just got landed with a tooth abcess therefore I had to take 8 clindamycin capsules a day! now that was quite horrifying for me so I thought to break them over some applesauce. the taste was so AWFUL the worst medicine I've ever tasted or tasted in general for that matter. as funny as it sounds that's how i overcame my fear! the taste was so bad that i made myself swallow them just to avoid it. lots of water and coating your throat along with pill in cooking oil helps also. slides right down, it's really all in our heads.005_sbiggrin

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Snooks - 04-06-2012 03:08 PM

Well done Syn90, the cooking oil tip is something i hadnt thought ofSmile

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Negzmazin - 12-13-2012 08:19 PM

I have been dealing with this since I was very young. I have no problem tossing a pill in tho. Its getting it to go down! I've take a powder capsule before and 20 minutes later I cough and the damn powder comes out like smoke. I have the flu and its worse than its ever been, can't sleep and just tried to take super small pills. Even with the small ones I have to shake lots of water in my mouth and tilt my head back and hope for the best. Phamacophobia. Never in my life did I think it was an actual phobia. Didn't think I was afraid of anything. Smile. As for getting them past ur lips, maybe buy a pez dispenser and pretend. Worth a try, better than doing this. . . Mad0228 and staying this. . . Sick3

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - Snooks - 12-15-2012 12:41 PM

Welcome to the forumSmile

Sadly your issue us quite common, though that doesnt make it any less annoying. Is it possible to take whatever Med you are needing, in a soluable form?

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - luba - 12-16-2012 11:26 AM

(12-13-2012 08:19 PM)Negzmazin Wrote:  I have been dealing with this since I was very young. I have no problem tossing a pill in tho. Its getting it to go down! I've take a powder capsule before and 20 minutes later I cough and the damn powder comes out like smoke. I have the flu and its worse than its ever been, can't sleep and just tried to take super small pills. Even with the small ones I have to shake lots of water in my mouth and tilt my head back and hope for the best. Phamacophobia. Never in my life did I think it was an actual phobia. Didn't think I was afraid of anything. Smile. As for getting them past ur lips, maybe buy a pez dispenser and pretend. Worth a try, better than doing this. . . Mad0228 and staying this. . . Sick3

Though I have no advice on how to take a pill other than crushing it if that helps, I hope you are feeling better now.Smile

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - deedee1234 - 02-13-2013 05:45 AM

(04-05-2012 11:41 PM)syn90 Wrote:  I had this same phobia and just got landed with a tooth abcess therefore I had to take 8 clindamycin capsules a day! now that was quite horrifying for me so I thought to break them over some applesauce. the taste was so AWFUL the worst medicine I've ever tasted or tasted in general for that matter. as funny as it sounds that's how i overcame my fear! the taste was so bad that i made myself swallow them just to avoid it. lots of water and coating your throat along with pill in cooking oil helps also. slides right down, it's really all in our heads.005_sbiggrin

i also have one and i take the same meds only 4 times a day but once its in my mouth i feel like it just cnt go down like my drink will go but it wont i was taking them like nothing when i first got them acouple days ago but now i cnt stand the thought of iit any advice dentist appointment on the 18th??

RE: Fear of swallowing pills - forkezan - 02-21-2013 03:39 AM

I am afraid to swallow pills, but it mostly stems from choking on one the one time I tried swallowing it. My doctor told me I have a narrow throat passage because my tonsils grew too large and are now merged with my throat and cannot be removed. But I just can't swallow a whole pill for the life of me. I just crush or chew pills and it is disgusting but it works. Good luck!