oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Job hunting - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Community (/f-community)
+--- Forum: oFear Cafe (/f-ofear-cafe)
+--- Thread: Job hunting (/t-job-hunting--5028)

Pages: 1 2

Job hunting - Globetrotter - 02-27-2012 03:19 AM

Post anything to do with job hunting in this thread. Happy7

I'll start things off. Cool

Has anyone done one of those internet questionnaires where it comes out with ideal jobs for you? Found them to be of any use? Blob5

What to you say to employers when they ask 'why do you want this job?', 'why are you suited to this role?'. Confused5

RE: Job hunting - Harold-L - 02-27-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:Has anyone done one of those internet questionnaires where it comes out with ideal jobs for you? Found them to be of any use? Blob5
I've done one of those. Not very helpful at all to be honest.Confused Well, I guess it depends. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know though. I mean, I know what my interests are, and I have a pretty good idea what kinds of jobs related to those interests are out there. But how does that help me? Let's say I'm interested in psychology, and it tells me: "you would suit as a psychologist!", what do I do with that? Does that magically give a psychology degree? Could I print the results and use them as some form of recommendation letter when I start applying for jobs as a psychologist? I'll have to try that!Cool

Quote:What to you say to employers when they ask 'why do you want this job?', 'why are you suited to this role?'. Confused5
Oh that's easy. No matter what the job is, that particular job is your biggest passion. If you're applying for a job as a dishwasher, then washing dishes is your mission in life. Applying for a job at McDonalds? Then hamburgers, and ...slowly murdering people for money, is your greatest passion!005_shappy

If you don't want to give the employer a big, obvious lie, then I have no clue how to answer a question like that.Confused

More job related questions: Have you had many jobs in the past? What was the best one you had? The worst?
Oh, and here's a better question: any tips on how to find motivation to actually be active in your job hunting? Do you just force yourself to do it?

I find myself using any possible excuse to procrastinate the whole thing until "next week".Laughing6

RE: Job hunting - Harold-L - 03-04-2012 12:01 AM

Okay, I've run into a little ...complication.005_ssleepy

So, the first step to applying for a job is to send in a personal letter and woo the possible employer. Which brings me to my question, how do you present yourself in a positive light when you can't think of any positive qualities about yourself? I don't want to lie to them, because the moment they see me they'll realise everything I said was a lie. So I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to make myself sound ...okay.005_sconfused

Here's your shot to sound arrogant and self-centered: how would you, personally, present yourself? What would you say to try and impress an employer? I need some inspiration here.005_sconfused

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 03-07-2012 08:29 AM

I've done a few of those internet questionnaires, with me each and every time hoping that they would come out with some sort of 'magical' answer (which they don't!). 005_sbiggrin

The major problem with the questionnaires is that they don't ask about any health issues the user has - they should definitely design one which does! 005_smad

I'm very good at procastinating my job searching activites - nearly always, I end up putting my job searching off until the end of the day (after aiming to have done it in the morning!).

As for covering letters, I'm equally as stuck - I find it so difficult to sell myself, let alone in a confident manner. To me, it feels so ungenuine and artificial. Confused

RE: Job hunting - Harold-L - 03-08-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:As for covering letters, I'm equally as stuck - I find it so difficult to sell myself, let alone in a confident manner. To me, it feels so ungenuine and artificial. Confused
It doesn't just feel that way, it IS ungenuine and artificial. The job doesn't necessarily go to the person who deserves it the most, or who is most qualified, it goes to those who know how to play this stupid game. Lie, exaggerate, be obnoxious, and you'll get a job!Cool

I hate this.005_ssleepy

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 03-26-2012 03:10 AM

Here's an issue which certainly has me wondering from time to time - when, if at all, should you disclose your health issue(s) to potential employers?

If you tell a potential employer that you have a health issue (in my case, social anxiety), the chances are that they'll form their own (probably incorrect) preconceptions of what the disorder is like, perhaps even immediately crossing you off their list.

What happens though if you have to fill in a pre-employment questionnaire (which usually asks about anxiety/ stress problems)?

How upfront should you be?

RE: Job hunting - Ana - 03-26-2012 10:49 PM

In my opinion, how upfront you should be depends on the individual in question. For myself, how open I decide to be with any potential employer would solely depend on how they present themselves to me. I guess you could say that I'd use my first impression of them to assess how forthcoming I'd be about any of my health issues.

With my current employer, I've never told her about my issues specifically. Although she use to be a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, I just don't feel as if it's a conversation I wish to start with her. That conclusion is solely based off of her businesslike personality. Though, if she outright asked me anything, I'd be honest with her.

As far as a pre-employment questionaire goes, that's a tough one. For myself, I think I could get away with not disclosing anything. I can claim to just be shy. All my other anxiety effects me personally and shouldn't really ever be much of an issue at work. I know that social anxiety effects every aspect of your life though. So, with that type of anxiety, it may be something you wish to disclose to some degree.

At the end of the day though, I'd disclose as much as I'd feel comfortable and willing to disclose with any potential employer. I wouldn't disclose anything because I felt as if I owed it to the employer.

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 03-30-2012 07:50 AM

Thanks for the advice Ana! 005_shappy

In my job hunting, whether to disclose my anxiety is something I have often thought and thought about, to the point where it ends up bogging me down.

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 06-04-2012 02:18 AM

How safe is it making your CV viewable on these job board websites? 005_sconfused

RE: Job hunting - Snooks - 06-05-2012 09:22 AM

I guess its as safe as telling anyone and everyone your private information Sad

I personally wouldnt like disclosing address, date of birth, phone number and information such as that because it has to leave you open to people stealing your identity.

I think this information needs to be seen only by people that have a valid need for doing so.

RE: Job hunting - Harold-L - 06-28-2012 02:07 AM

Any job related news Globe? Are you still working at the book store?

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 06-28-2012 07:29 AM

(06-28-2012 02:07 AM)Harold-L Wrote:  Any job related news Globe? Are you still working at the book store?

Yep - I'm still working at the book store, and I'm still finding it worthwhile. Happy7

The wonderful thing about this voluntary work is that it's SA friendly.

What I would give to have a paid SA friendly job - that is, one where I wasn't mentally exhausted by it by the end of the day, every single day. Undecided

RE: Job hunting - Harold-L - 06-29-2012 03:07 PM

Yeah, it really does sound like an ideal job for someone suffering from social issues. Blob5 Sadly, there isn't a lot of those out there.005_ssleepy

How long will you keep working there? Do you have a finish date or something? Are you still job hunting too?

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 07-10-2012 06:51 AM

^ Will be working there until I find a paid job.

Of which, I have a job interview tomorrow! Sick3

Was given notice of the interview one week ago, and since then, I have had the most horrible feeling of impending dread, a feeling which I have found very difficult to escape from. Even just looking at the interview letter is enough to badly trigger it off...

RE: Job hunting - Globetrotter - 07-15-2012 07:48 AM

Well I survived the interview.

Waiting for the bus home, I found myself wondering around a cemetery in the pouring rain! Though it's not everyone's cup of tea(!), I found it to be very peaceful.

A couple of days later, and I finally get a call from the organisation to say that I wasn't successful, but would I be interested in doing some voluntary work for them? (In last week's local newspapers I read that they were looking for admin volunteers).

I don't know how other oFear'ers would feel about doing voluntary work for a charity organisation which had just turned you down for a paid job?

I think I've probably already made up my mind - I'm already more than happy with the current voluntary work that I do for a different organisation, and that I just don't have any more time to spare.

Now all I have to say is 'thanks, but no thanks' in my email reply - something I'm currently having trouble wording because of my SA (SA sufferers tend not to be the most assertive of people!).