oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: General Phobia (/f-general-phobia)
+--- Thread: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire (/t-keriophobia-fear-of-a-candle-or-candles-or-arsonphobia-fear-of-fire)

Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - wallax - 06-22-2012 04:57 AM

I think i have this...I got paranoid today when my brother lit some. Thinking oh no! There's gonna be a fire. I only blew one out. I had to make him do the rest. I even had to double check that he had done it when he left the house. although this could be a fear of a fire instead (making it Arsonphobia)?

Anyone else got any of these?

RE: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - Snooks - 06-23-2012 06:41 AM

Is this the first time that such events have happened and if not, do you recall when it first happened?

RE: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - wallax - 06-23-2012 10:01 AM

(06-23-2012 06:41 AM)Snooks Wrote:  Is this the first time that such events have happened and if not, do you recall when it first happened?

Well it's the first time the event has happened like that. But the only thing I remember thats similar to this is when my dad gave me a natch stick to light some candles. I took it off him and asi went to light the candle. The match nearly burnt my hand so I ended up dropping the match and seeing it lose it's flame as it hit the carpet. Other than that. I can't recall anything else I don't think.

RE: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - nour - 06-24-2012 07:16 AM

If that's the only memory you recall from your childhood regarding this issue, then the panic attack you felt when your brother lit some candles makes sense. I'm no professional, but I do suffer from a certain phobia and this is why I'm on this forum, and trust me phobias and anxiety disorders are definitely not pleasant! So, my advise to you, since you just discovered that fear of candles you have, is to go to a professional and talk it out, maybe medications would help, I don't know. But the most important thing is, don't sleep on it because personally I've always known I have a phobia but I'm too scared to see a specialized doctor and it keeps getting worse.
Good luck, and hope this helps!

RE: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - wallax - 06-28-2012 12:37 AM

(06-24-2012 07:16 AM)nour Wrote:  If that's the only memory you recall from your childhood regarding this issue, then the panic attack you felt when your brother lit some candles makes sense. I'm no professional, but I do suffer from a certain phobia and this is why I'm on this forum, and trust me phobias and anxiety disorders are definitely not pleasant! So, my advise to you, since you just discovered that fear of candles you have, is to go to a professional and talk it out, maybe medications would help, I don't know. But the most important thing is, don't sleep on it because personally I've always known I have a phobia but I'm too scared to see a specialized doctor and it keeps getting worse.

I do remember that I have been hit by a firework also. I think I'm
Ok with fireplaces though, and my brother used to (as a joke) pretend to try set me on fire with a lighter which I didn't like.

RE: Keriophobia - Fear of a candle or candles OR Arsonphobia - Fear of fire - adamr84 - 01-14-2013 02:27 AM

(06-28-2012 12:37 AM)wallax Wrote:  
(06-24-2012 07:16 AM)nour Wrote:  If that's the only memory you recall from your childhood regarding this issue, then the panic attack you felt when your brother lit some candles makes sense. I'm no professional, but I do suffer from a certain phobia and this is why I'm on this forum, and trust me phobias and anxiety disorders are definitely not pleasant! So, my advise to you, since you just discovered that fear of candles you have, is to go to a professional and talk it out, maybe medications would help, I don't know. But the most important thing is, don't sleep on it because personally I've always known I have a phobia but I'm too scared to see a specialized doctor and it keeps getting worse.

I do remember that I have been hit by a firework also. I think I'm
Ok with fireplaces though, and my brother used to (as a joke) pretend to try set me on fire with a lighter which I didn't like.

thanx for this posts, very useful Smile