oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Phobia of fleas and other insects. - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Animals (/f-animals)
+--- Thread: Phobia of fleas and other insects. (/t-phobia-of-fleas-and-other-insects)

Phobia of fleas and other insects. - akaiito - 04-11-2013 09:42 AM

Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could help me identify whether I have a fobia of fleas and insects or not, or maybe someone is experiencing something similar. My dog has been having fleas, they are gone for a while but then they come back. I have sprayed my house few times and just got on with my life until now. Three weeks ago I discovered my dog was again covered with flea dust so I have decided to clean everything, i packed my clothing in bags, went to vet to buy frontline and household spray i emptied my room, leaving the furniture, i hoovered everywhere like crazy, i was so precise i did it on my knees, additionally picking anything i thought could have been an egg. Then i sprayed my bed, floors, cracks and furnitures. after that i hoovered and sprayed the entire house. i sprayed the house couple more times, including my room, i even sprayed bleach into cracks and flea repelling pet spray, i even left the powder thing on the floor twice, i cleaned it today actually. I have not seen fleas on my dog for a while and yesterday i checked her coat because she started biting herself and scratching after we came back from a walk and i saw one flea crawling on her, I jumped back and got an overwhelming feeling of burning, right away I started scratching. That day we went to stay at my sister's place, I saw her cat scratching and I became itchy right away. What amazes me is that both pets been treated and both wear flea collars. I even find dead bugs in my house (disgusting woodlouse, gives me shivers only thinking of it) but my point is since the other bugs die the sprays must work which means that it's unlikely for fleas to be still in the house but I still feel like they are hiding somewhere. My whole body aches and itches. I even bought a lice comb to see if I have any in my hair. I bath and put my clothes in a plastic bag every time I come back home, even wash my hair twice a day. It's becoming really difficult as I'm starting to fear touch my dog, I'm afraid that fleas will jump on me. I got my sister check her and she said there are no signs of fleas. I worry I have developed phobia. Whenever I see a spec of dust I try to catch it and see if it moves. My boyfriend and family said that I'm taking this too seriously and I might hurt myself but I am just so, so, so scared there are fleas in my room, I'm afraid to sleep in my bed and I scratch all the time plus I have constant feeling of something crawling on my but there is nothing there. If anyone had experienced or experiences something similar please reply, it's unbearable TToTT

RE: Phobia of fleas and other insects. - Slaka - 04-13-2013 02:00 PM

The fact that you've gotten fleas several times in your house is saying whatever you are doing to prevent them is not working. So being afraid is completely understandable. I would stop using flea collars immediately however. They don't work well and can cause problems for the animal wearing it around its neck. Frontline and Advantage are good well known meds to stop and prevent fleas. Sticking to the monthly treatment at the proper dose (the flea meds work by the size of the dog- don't use more then it says, just the weight range your dog applies to) and since you treated your house and the fleas are gone you should no longer worry about your house being re infested. Itching when your mind jumps to fleas is understandable. No different then people itching their heads when someone starts talking about people having lice. I hope that the more time passes with a flea free house that the anxiety too will subside.
In my case I am paranoid about bed bugs. Not at my house, but I'm scared they will end up at my house. So any time I end up staying at a hotel or someones house I check the bed/furniture for signs, itch and usually stay up later then I should thinking about it and when I get home all my clothes go directly in the washer and I take a shower. Fleas are easier to get rid of when your home gets them, but they ARE preventable. I think that as long as you change your method of flea prevention (from flea collars to more reliable flea and tick meds) then you should no longer need to worry about your house being taken over again by them bothersome bugs. Hopefully the more time that goes by when the new treatment is working to stop the bugs the more your mind will be at ease.

RE: Phobia of fleas and other insects. - indigocat - 04-15-2013 10:04 PM

Wash your dog with dawn dish washing soap. Get a flea treatment from the vet for your dog. Get flea carpet powder and or bug bomb your house. You should be fine. They also make stuff to sprinkle in the yard on the grass for fleas i believe.
If it's still bothering you then I suggest seeing a doctor for the anxiety it's causing you.

RE: Phobia of fleas and other insects. - daffodil - 09-29-2016 05:28 PM

hi there. I do have the same problem like you have, I always feel like something it's crawling on me always it's itching me up...
I live with my in laws and they have 2 cats who from time to time they are coming in the house too. The cats live in basements. I have seen couples time fleas in my room on me even. And now, here is the problem: I feel crawling on me all the time something, and most of the time I've looked it's nothing. Guys I'm feeling like I'm losing my mind and is no body to talk to about it. Please help me here pleaseSad((

RE: Phobia of fleas and other insects. - The Inspector - 11-10-2017 03:44 PM

(04-11-2013 09:42 AM)akaiito Wrote:  Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could help me identify whether I have a fobia of fleas and insects or not, or maybe someone is experiencing something similar. My dog has been having fleas, they are gone for a while but then they come back. I have sprayed my house few times and just got on with my life until now. Three weeks ago I discovered my dog was again covered with flea dust so I have decided to clean everything, i packed my clothing in bags, went to vet to buy frontline and household spray i emptied my room, leaving the furniture, i hoovered everywhere like crazy, i was so precise i did it on my knees, additionally picking anything i thought could have been an egg. Then i sprayed my bed, floors, cracks and furnitures. after that i hoovered and sprayed the entire house. i sprayed the house couple more times, including my room, i even sprayed bleach into cracks and flea repelling pet spray, i even left the powder thing on the floor twice, i cleaned it today actually. I have not seen fleas on my dog for a while and yesterday i checked her coat because she started biting herself and scratching after we came back from a walk and i saw one flea crawling on her, I jumped back and got an overwhelming feeling of burning, right away I started scratching. That day we went to stay at my sister's place, I saw her cat scratching and I became itchy right away. What amazes me is that both pets been treated and both wear flea collars. I even find dead bugs in my house (disgusting woodlouse, gives me shivers only thinking of it) but my point is since the other bugs die the sprays must work which means that it's unlikely for fleas to be still in the house but I still feel like they are hiding somewhere. My whole body aches and itches. I even bought a lice comb to see if I have any in my hair. I bath and put my clothes in a plastic bag every time I come back home, even wash my hair twice a day. It's becoming really difficult as I'm starting to fear touch my dog, I'm afraid that fleas will jump on me. I got my sister check her and she said there are no signs of fleas. I worry I have developed phobia. Whenever I see a spec of dust I try to catch it and see if it moves. My boyfriend and family said that I'm taking this too seriously and I might hurt myself but I am just so, so, so scared there are fleas in my room, I'm afraid to sleep in my bed and I scratch all the time plus I have constant feeling of something crawling on my but there is nothing there. If anyone had experienced or experiences something similar please reply, it's unbearable TToTT