oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
edited - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: edited (/t-edited)

edited - rtab288 - 08-02-2013 10:30 AM

edited

RE: Why do always tense up when socializing? - luba - 08-02-2013 08:51 PM

(08-02-2013 10:30 AM)rtab288 Wrote:  Especially when I get stared at a lot? Sometimes I feel like people have been talking about me.

Is it possible to cure with medication? Or do I have to live with it for the rest of my life?

rtab, in my opinion, you can do this without medication.

May I ask why you think you get stared at a lot? What is different about you that would make people stare, do you yourself think? Do you talk to other people or laugh and joke with them when you are in social situations? That is a really good way to have fun and then you wouldn't notice what other people are doing anyway.Smile

The thing is if you feel that is happening, it's up to you to get yourself out of that uncomfortable situation. Or even step outside, take a few deep breaths, and get back into the room again. (I think I may have already mentioned that in the 'lonely' post.)

In social situations, people may make comments about other people or even gossip. Gossip seems to be a part of some get togethers. If you do go to social gatherings where it's all about gossip, the thing to do is stay away from them.

RE: Why do always tense up when socializing? - luba - 08-03-2013 11:36 PM

(08-03-2013 03:23 AM)rtab288 Wrote:  I wish it was just paranoia, but I really do feel that people are staring and then I look their way and then I catch them staring and they quickly look away.

Is it all social situations you feel that way, rtab? Maybe a good idea would be not to get into situations where you feel uncomfortable. Just don't go to them, instead go to ones with one or two friends that you do feel comfortable with. The more you do that, the more at ease you will feel. If you keep doing that, then you will become more relaxed at social situations that made you uncomfortable before.
You are in charge of where you go and what you want to do!Smile

RE: Why do always tense up when socializing? - rtab288 - 08-05-2013 08:22 AM

Maybe I just need to get more used to it. Maybe I just need to build up my socializing muscles, so to speak.

RE: Why do always tense up when socializing? - luba - 08-05-2013 09:40 AM

(08-05-2013 08:22 AM)rtab288 Wrote:  Maybe I just need to get more used to it. Maybe I just need to build up my socializing muscles, so to speak.

I think that is a great idea, rtab.Smile
Just be friendly with people, even just saying 'hello' and smiling shows that you are friendly and approachable.Smile It could make a huge difference to you and people will find out that you are a nice person.Smile