oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
family wedding coming up - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Social Anxiety Disorder - Social Phobia (/f-social-anxiety-disorder-social-phobia)
+--- Thread: family wedding coming up (/t-family-wedding-coming-up)

family wedding coming up - mrworrier93 - 03-03-2014 10:45 AM

So in a few months i have a wedding to attend, i can't get it off my mind and am not looking forward to it. Its extremely formal, and have to sit for a 3 course meal (never have an appetite on these occasions). I have agreed to go as it would have been rude not to, and my family are aware of my social anxiety and are pressuring me into booking the hotel room just so i wont back out of going.

my problem is mainly the meal part of it, as i really cant eat in that sort of situation, and i gag (wretch, heave) when i get nervous, which isn't the best thing to do at a dinner table, and even though its 5 months away my stomach is already turning at the though of it.

has anyone got any experience/advice on how to control my nerves now and on the day?

thanks in advance Confused

RE: family wedding coming up - nilrem43 - 03-17-2014 12:49 PM

(03-03-2014 10:45 AM)mrworrier93 Wrote:  So in a few months i have a wedding to attend, i can't get it off my mind and am not looking forward to it. Its extremely formal, and have to sit for a 3 course meal (never have an appetite on these occasions). I have agreed to go as it would have been rude not to, and my family are aware of my social anxiety and are pressuring me into booking the hotel room just so i wont back out of going.

my problem is mainly the meal part of it, as i really cant eat in that sort of situation, and i gag (wretch, heave) when i get nervous, which isn't the best thing to do at a dinner table, and even though its 5 months away my stomach is already turning at the though of it.

has anyone got any experience/advice on how to control my nerves now and on the day?

thanks in advance Confused

You should see your family doctor and let him/her know about your Social Anxiety Disorder. He/she will most likely prescribe you some meds that you can take that will tone things down for you. Most likely Xanax or something similar. It's quick acting and might make you a bit drowsy, but will make things a lot more bearable in that situation.

nilrem