oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: People & Places (/f-people-places)
+--- Thread: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- (/t-fear-of-google-maps-satellite-images)

Pages: 1 2

Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - itsmax - 05-17-2014 09:43 PM

When I was younger, I used to like playing about on Google Earth quite a lot, as you do. I used to try and zoom in and look at my house, because that's just the kind of thing that you do. Then this one time, I zoomed in too much, and Google Earth did this weird animation (not even sure how to describe it), but it ended up showing you the complete opposite side of the world, in the middle of the ocean. Really not sure why, but this scared the living crap out of me. Anyway, after that, I wasn't exactly a big fan of satellite images, but I could cope. But now it's gone way to far, and whenever I see a satellite image, especially of the ocean or mountains, I completely freak out and have to leave.
Is this in any way normal? I'm interested to find out what this phobia is called, that's if it even has a name, but more importantly I just need a way of getting used to it, that's all. I'm not even sure where exactly I should post this, it doesn't really fit into any category.
Anyway, thanks

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Snooks - 05-18-2014 05:49 PM

Im afraid it certainly isnt normal, as is anything that is not considered rational behaviour Sad

Ive been looking around trying to find information or a name, but at this stage i cant find anything credible.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - itsmax - 05-19-2014 07:57 AM

(05-18-2014 05:49 PM)Snooks Wrote:  Im afraid it certainly isnt normal, as is anything that is not considered rational behaviour Sad

Ive been looking around trying to find information or a name, but at this stage i cant find anything credible.

Okay, to be honest I wasn't exactly expecting it to be normal, so no surprises there. I can't find a name either, so no worries.

Thanks anyway Smile

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - s00yeon - 07-30-2014 12:36 AM

Yes! Hello!
I just found this website about 5 minutes ago and was browsing around (boredom) and I found this thread and made an account just to comment!

I went to Japan a while back for student exchange and I was on my really old dingy computer full of photos and videos, making it super slow. I'm a really impatient person and when I was on Google Maps trying to get a look at Japan it wouldn't load because my computer was so slow. I got frustrated within the first 3 seconds of it not loading (lol) and kinda clicked..everywhere..

Anyway, it took me somewhere random in the ocean, too. The animation is probably what you were talking about: I clicked so many times and it zoomed in to 8 different places within 2 seconds. I don't even know how to explain it hahaha. So yeah I ended up in the ocean and I was so terrified. Now I'm way too scared to even think about using Google Earth/Maps.

I've noticed I'm afraid of lots of big things that are zoomed in, and I'm not sure why. Maybe that's a contributing factor.

Nice to know I'm not alone! You really made me feel better. Smile
Would love to hear from you again.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Scaredofsatellitemaps - 09-18-2014 09:00 AM

Yes! Please PM me because I thought I was the only one. For me the worst is harbors with giant tankers in them, anything with water... Beaches, big sky scrapers, dirty places... But mostly costal lines and harbors and industrial looking places. The parts of the ocean with detail... It creeps me out and gives me a disgusting feeling and has started to broaden now. I get the images in my dreams and it's just repulsive and itchy feeling to me. Why do I feel this way and is there a name for this?

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Snooks - 09-21-2014 06:25 PM

How long have you felt like this? Do you know of any event that could have induced these issues?

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - NaroKusanagi99 - 01-06-2015 09:01 PM

Hello there!
Same as sOOyeon,I also stumbled upon this website while reading about phobias and registered just to post a reply.
I have the same problem.I always get freaked out from seeing images of planets,galaxies and outer space in general (especially those black hole images and nebulae).Whether the images moved or not,I often get this sick feeling in the stomach and have to look away,except in documentaries.
Just a few days ago was my first time opening Google Earth (after finding this interesting video of a 'huge dragon carcass' discovered somewhere in the oceans and deciding to try finding it in said site with my sister).I was unprepared for what came next: a satellite image of Earth (though I should've known from the name,but the video didn't show the planet earth image.It just started on the ocean surface,and I've never seen anyone else use Google Earth).
My sister (who is afraid of the ocean) and I started getting nauseous when I zoomed in real fast to avoid the need of seeing the planet.That was when the weird animation as you had stated came about.It made us feel worse and we immediately closed the computer (yes,the computer straight away.Shut down without closing the browser).
I know this thread had been left for a while,but I just felt like I needed to share my experience Smile I hope we can find out what it's called,and if it can be coped with.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - unityqixin - 05-25-2015 01:48 PM

(05-17-2014 09:43 PM)itsmax Wrote:  When I was younger, I used to like playing about on Google Earth quite a lot, as you do. I used to try and zoom in and look at my house, because that's just the kind of thing that you do. Then this one time, I zoomed in too much, and Google Earth did this weird animation (not even sure how to describe it), but it ended up showing you the complete opposite side of the world, in the middle of the ocean. Really not sure why, but this scared the living crap out of me. Anyway, after that, I wasn't exactly a big fan of satellite images, but I could cope. But now it's gone way to far, and whenever I see a satellite image, especially of the ocean or mountains, I completely freak out and have to leave.
Is this in any way normal? I'm interested to find out what this phobia is called, that's if it even has a name, but more importantly I just need a way of getting used to it, that's all. I'm not even sure where exactly I should post this, it doesn't really fit into any category.
Anyway, thanks
I have exactly the same fear as you from Google Map. You are definitely not alone. I found anything ocean or top down mountain view terrify me very bad. I had a cruising trip with my husband. It was completely dark a night and the ship was in the middle of pacific ocean. We had this fancy suite with big balcony. My husband wanted to go lie on the chair on balcony and watch stars. I just could not even take a peek through the curtain into the dark sea. Oh My God, It was so terrifying. don't know exactly what phobia it is. I want to find out too.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Iammadashellandiamnot - 06-03-2016 05:15 PM

I know I am late to the party here, but I registered just to join the conversation! I found this posting when searching for anxiety related to the use of Google Earth. I have actually searched this topic in the past, however this is the very first time anything popped up in my search.

I didn't think I was alone in this - but I admit it appears to be rare.

I kind of become panic stricken at times using G.E. Especially when traveling over large bodies of water, land or when I become lost and lose my sense of direction (away from point of origin). I do admit that I have an intense fear of heights. Anything off the ground really. Also, a fear of deep dark water, particularly ocean water. It is so bad when using G.E., sometimes I feel as if I cannot breathe. As if I can get no oxygen. It is a shame too, because otherwise, I enjoy using G.E., and it is useful to me. Good grief! Hey, if you are out there and have this as well, know you are not alone!

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - pigasauras - 07-11-2016 07:52 AM

(05-17-2014 09:43 PM)itsmax Wrote:  When I was younger, I used to like playing about on Google Earth quite a lot, as you do. I used to try and zoom in and look at my house, because that's just the kind of thing that you do. Then this one time, I zoomed in too much, and Google Earth did this weird animation (not even sure how to describe it), but it ended up showing you the complete opposite side of the world, in the middle of the ocean. Really not sure why, but this scared the living crap out of me. Anyway, after that, I wasn't exactly a big fan of satellite images, but I could cope. But now it's gone way to far, and whenever I see a satellite image, especially of the ocean or mountains, I completely freak out and have to leave.
Anyway, thanks

I made an account just to comment. I've had this fear for nearly ten years. I've asked others I know but people think it's funny. It started like yours and others here. I impatiently was scrolling, trying to cross a city too quickly, and I ended up in the.......you guessed it....the <ocean> 005_ssuprised

At first it jolted me but not out rightly scared me quite yet, not until the next couple of times. Soon I found myself really careful of not viewing the ocean in satellite form, crouching along the edges at a safe distance. Just now, before I Googled this fear again, I was looking at a particular state and was pulling the wheel back too quickly until I found myself in space.

Space 005_ssuprised

New fear....check.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Triforce - 08-08-2016 08:57 PM

I love that so many of us have made accounts just to relate. I stumbled across this thread because I was trying to find some kind of comfort for the crippling anxiety I get whenever I look at a random place on Google maps. I've always felt super ridiculous and I only ever remember my sister and I looking at our house as a kid and one day she was just searching... And she was using satellite to zoom into mountains and bodies of water and just the intense feeling of being lost in the unknown... I have a feeling I get so anxious because I can't leave that area. If you're too zoomed in, you can only really zoom out forever and try to figure out where you are or move around that area and feel even more lost.

I have no idea what causes this. But I've always personally wondered if it has to do with my inherited ability to worry a ridiculous amount about the unknown and the uncontrollable. Maybe it's just freaky as f***. But either way it's awful when I'm driving with a friend and my GPS redirects and ends up somewhere weird for a moment and I need to pull over to cry and deep breathe.. Haha!

It's just comforting to know I'm not the only person. If Randoms have recently joined to relate, I can only imagine the number of individuals that have the same fears.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - marv8396 - 09-03-2016 09:26 AM

(08-08-2016 08:57 PM)Triforce Wrote:  I love that so many of us have made accounts just to relate. I stumbled across this thread because I was trying to find some kind of comfort for the crippling anxiety I get whenever I look at a random place on Google maps. I've always felt super ridiculous and I only ever remember my sister and I looking at our house as a kid and one day she was just searching... And she was using satellite to zoom into mountains and bodies of water and just the intense feeling of being lost in the unknown... I have a feeling I get so anxious because I can't leave that area. If you're too zoomed in, you can only really zoom out forever and try to figure out where you are or move around that area and feel even more lost.

I have no idea what causes this. But I've always personally wondered if it has to do with my inherited ability to worry a ridiculous amount about the unknown and the uncontrollable. Maybe it's just freaky as f***. But either way it's awful when I'm driving with a friend and my GPS redirects and ends up somewhere weird for a moment and I need to pull over to cry and deep breathe.. Haha!

It's just comforting to know I'm not the only person. If Randoms have recently joined to relate, I can only imagine the number of individuals that have the same fears.

Another new member here.

I've had this fear for as long as I've used Google Maps/Google Earth.

I don't have any problem when zooming in- what really makes me uncomfortable is coastlines, mountain ranges and basically a zoomed-out view of anywhere rural and rugged. Confused

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Beejay1968 - 11-01-2016 04:51 AM

Most or all of you may have figured out by now that the fear we share is thalassophobia. My fear is mostly of images or illustrations of large bodies of water. I also have an unusual fear of Google Earth satellite images; large bodies of water, tall buildings, mountain ranges, outer space, etc.

I have had the fear of water images for several decades, since I was a little girl. It was only recently, as it got much worse that I realized it is an actual named phobia. Glad, but sorry for all of you that I am not alone.

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - Pheonixl - 01-06-2017 03:50 AM

(09-18-2014 09:00 AM)Scaredofsatellitemaps Wrote:  Yes! Please PM me because I thought I was the only one. For me the worst is harbors with giant tankers in them, anything with water... Beaches, big sky scrapers, dirty places... But mostly coastal lines and harbors and industrial looking places. The parts of the ocean with detail... It creeps me out and gives me a disgusting feeling and has started to broaden now. I get the images in my dreams and it's just repulsive and itchy feeling to me. Why do I feel this way and is there a name for this?

Me too! I thought I was the only one... I especially don't like when I zoom in on Las Vegas! I feel like I can't breathe and sometimes when I use the 'back-in-time' tool the images change color! Confused
[attachment=94]

RE: Fear of Google Maps Satellite Images -.- - DosKittehs - 06-20-2017 03:52 PM

Just like everyone else, I stumbled across this forum while trying to see if there was a specific name for this fear. I get super anxious and afraid when I zoom out too far playing on Google maps. One day I clicked too much and it zoomed out to a view of the entire planet. Scared the s*** out of me. I had to close browser immediately. Haha and I thought I was alone.

I was thinking it did have to do with the fear or water, or even the fear of the unknown. But it is comforting to know I'm not the only crazy one out there!