oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Exposure: forcing youself to do things you don't like - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Medication, Symptoms, Treatment and Support (/f-medication-symptoms-treatment-and-support)
+--- Forum: Treatment (/f-treatment)
+--- Thread: Exposure: forcing youself to do things you don't like (/t-exposure-forcing-youself-to-do-things-you-don-t-like)

Exposure: forcing youself to do things you don't like - hazord - 09-06-2016 05:06 AM

I've had CBT and other therapy relating to my phobia. I know that exposure is good for desensitisation, but I find it hard to push myself to do something I don't like.

Generally I go through phases of working on my phobia then stopping doing work. One of the key things that stops me working on it is that I feel I make such slow progress, it's demoralising. Working on it makes me think about the phobia and my slow progress I find depressing.

RE: Exposure: forcing youself to do things you don't like - LemonLime - 09-10-2016 12:40 PM

I can understand getting discouraged because progress is slow. I get discouraged too. Does your therapist think you are making good progress? If your therapist thinks worthwhile progress is being made that is something to be proud of. I know it's hard.

RE: Exposure: forcing youself to do things you don't like - chiefboats - 02-27-2017 07:08 PM

Hi hazord

When we were all young we went through three phases to learn to move; crawl, walk then run. No matter which therapy you choose to go through there will be at least three stages; acknowledge, accept then move on. If you cannot acknowledge, accept then move on there is very little chance CBT will benefit you.

Bill