oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of choking/suffocating!!! - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Foods (/f-foods)
+--- Thread: Fear of choking/suffocating!!! (/t-fear-of-choking-suffocating)

Fear of choking/suffocating!!! - BicycleRow - 03-04-2017 04:47 AM

Hey guys,

I'm a 16 y/o boy from Bulgaria. I few years ago I chocked on a sticky candy bar (it got stuck to my trachea). Luckily, my mom and dad were there to save me by removing. But since then I'm not able to eat alone. I fear that I'm gonna choke and I'll simply die from suffocation right on the spot. When there are others around me, like friends and family, or just random people on the street, I tend to be more relaxed and I don't really think about it because I know if that happens somebody around me is going to save me. They might not be able to, or don't know how to, but just the though of somebody being around me is quite relaxing. Though, recently the fear has been getting stronger, even when there are people around me I'm not fully relaxed. I think that even if the food gets stuck to my windpipe the people around me won't be able to save me, even if they try. That's a very serious thing. I feel like I'll be like this for the rest of my life. It feels like there is no escaping it. It's really terrible, I even lost a few kilograms. Also, I wanna be able to get through it by myself, I don't wanna go to any therapists/psychiatrists nor do any kinds of drugs.

By the way, drinking is perfectly fine. I just know that even if a drink goes in my windpipe, I'll just cough it out.

On top of that, I have a nose problem where the nose is fully, or partly stuffed for like most of the day and I need to use these nasal drops in order to be able to breathe, at least a little bit.

Anyway, even if I lower the anxiety somehow. I'll always know that even if I don't think about it, there is still a chance of choking.

Any ideas on how to cure this fucking shit that's been ruining my life for the past few years would be GREATLY appreciated!

RE: Fear of choking/suffocating!!! - kfgf100 - 06-16-2017 09:54 AM

well you can always teach yourself to do the Heimlich maneuver on yourself but you might want to try talking to a doctor to get professional tips on how to do it instead of just watching a video you can do that but i think it will help if you know how to save your self