oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Fear of driving over bridges (not heights!) - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Phobias by category (/f-phobias-by-category)
+--- Forum: Trains, Planes, Automobiles (/f-trains-planes-automobiles)
+--- Thread: Fear of driving over bridges (not heights!) (/t-fear-of-driving-over-bridges-not-heights)

Fear of driving over bridges (not heights!) - dugmar - 08-08-2017 07:16 AM

I have, from what I can tell, a fear of tall structures. I can fly and look out the window of an open cockpit biplane all day. But if there is an edge, associated with a tall structure above me, I lock up.

Example: If I am driving over a large, tall bridge that has a tall portion above me (cables, or cable stay towers) I get very anxious.

This can also come on if standing on the ground, looking up at a tall structure. It happens with both man made and natural objects that are around and taller than I am at the time.

Similar feeling comes on if standing on a sailboat, looking up at a very tall mast for example.

The part that scares me the most is driving over a bridge. I often have to lower the sun visor so I cannot see any structure of the bridge above me. It is sometimes so bad that I fear I may lose consciousness while driving. Any one experience this very uneasy feeling? It has gotten worse as I age.

Thank you.