oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Needles and the Dentist - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Needle Phobia (/f-needle-phobia)
+--- Thread: Needles and the Dentist (/t-needles-and-the-dentist)

Needles and the Dentist - Snownity - 08-31-2018 11:08 AM

Hi, I went to the dentist today because I was supposed to have two small fillings. They aren't a big deal, I already got 2 and last time I did it, I had no needle but it felt really uncomfortable Confused

This time, I was nervous because I remembered how uncomfortable it was the first time and I was scared of it, I felt sick and my head hurt before we'd even gone. I went anyway, and when I asked about needles, they kept being persistent and I'm not sure why, but I'm not fond of intimacy either so when they offered to hold my hand and stuff, it just made me feel worse, as weird as that might sound. They were like "Oh, it'll hurt if you don't do it" and eventually, I did what I didn't want to do, I cried, I honestly broke down, I couldn't help it. I don't know if they really noticed because I had goggles on but they must've have seen Sadwave

They eventually suggested referring me to a place that will sedate me, and at the time, I just wanted to leave. Now, I'm seriously getting upset about it all, I don't want those fillings, nor do I want to be sedated. I'm so embarrassed that I never want to see those dentists again, and I bet they think I'm pathetic. I never realized just how scared of needles I was, and now I don't know what to do. I'm worried that I've upset my entire family by being a nuisance too, I think the sedation place would be like 3 hours away, instead of our 5 minute drive.

I feel so horrible, I'm scared of a needle and look what I've brought upon myself, please help Confused

RE: Needles and the Dentist - Snooks - 08-31-2018 01:10 PM

As bad as you may feel you can be assured that the Dentists will have been through this issue many times.

The 3hr drive may well be worth undertaking so as to avoid being so upset. Family and friends find it very hard to understand how upsetting a phobia can be Sad

RE: Needles and the Dentist - Snownity - 09-01-2018 10:00 AM

(08-31-2018 01:10 PM)Snooks Wrote:  As bad as you may feel you can be assured that the Dentists will have been through this issue many times.

The 3hr drive may well be worth undertaking so as to avoid being so upset. Family and friends find it very hard to understand how upsetting a phobia can be Sad

Thank you for replying ^~^