oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Considering taking medication for panic attacks/anxiety - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: Medication, Symptoms, Treatment and Support (/f-medication-symptoms-treatment-and-support)
+--- Forum: Treatment (/f-treatment)
+---- Forum: Medication (/f-medication)
+---- Thread: Considering taking medication for panic attacks/anxiety (/t-considering-taking-medication-for-panic-attacks-anxiety)

Considering taking medication for panic attacks/anxiety - unfallen - 03-10-2010 03:13 AM

I have had anxiety for my entire life and for the most part tried to deal with it without using medication. The last month it's taken a turn for the worse. I know I don't have what it takes to force myself to keep trying to function on my own anymore. I have decided to get some type of medication to help me.

I talked to a nurse at a mental hospital yesterday for an evaluation and told her what was going on in in my life in detail as well as my symptoms. She wants me to do something called partial hospitalization which lasts for three to five days from 9AM-2PM. A friend of mine told me that a mental hospital isn't necessary and any medical doctor can treat panic attacks.

Anyone have thoughts or input about what I should look into?

Re: Considering taking medication for panic attacks/anxiety - Mr Ian - 03-13-2010 03:06 AM

Hi unfallen

There's several options to how you've described your current situation. Alas, there's no way of telling which will be best or most effective without trying them.
Essentially tho, therapies involve either/or medication and counselling.

The diff bewteen the two options of GP or partial hospitalisation is likely to be the balance between counselling and medication.
A GP is most likely to start out with medication alone (which will help reduce the physical experience of anxiety) but may also refer to counselling (to develop longer term self-control).
Hospitalisation is (meant to be) most effective in providing a 'safe haven' where you can unwind and de-stress whilst also having access to a range of therapists. I can't know what your own local is likely to offer as part of the hospitalisation programme but you will have better access to professional support and information by attending this option.

I wouldn't know which one would be best for you but it may be worth giving the partial hospitalisation a trial if you wanted to give yourself every chance to avoid medication.
Having said that - I've seen people who similarly looked to avoid using medication as much as possible - but when they did - found their life improved dramatically.

If you do choose the partial hospitalisation it would be interesting to read how you get on if were happy to report back!! But don't feel obliged to of course!

Hope this helps - feel free to ask more.