oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+---- Forum: Emetophobia (/f-emetophobia)
+---- Thread: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group (/t-ofear-s-emetophobia-e-group)

Pages: 1 2

Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 12-19-2008 09:09 AM

Welcome to the Ofear's Emetophobia E-group

This is a special interest group set up by kirstYAY and me for Ofear members who suffer from emetophobia and wish to share their progress and relapes.

Anyone who wishes to join the group please feel free to PM Shy guy and we will add your name to the list in the Ofear's Emetophobia E-group's Diary.

Thank you. Blob5

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 12-19-2008 10:19 AM

As with all phobias, emetophobia is a circle of fear: Thoughts lead to anxiety lead to more thoughts ->

[attachment=0]

We intend to break this cycle through a series of weekly asignments and the support from the rest of the e-group.

18th of December 2008

As you will notice from the above your phobia needs to be broken in two places therefore you first task is to read through Shy guy’s guide to relaxation and if you do not already have one pick a technque that works for you.

Your second asignment is to start keeping a Thought Diary.

US Letter Thought Diary

A4 Thought Diary

Finally, your third asignment is to start keeping a Food and Exercise Diary

Food and Exercise Diary - US Letter

Food and Exercise Diary - A4

As these last two assignment have to be send to me once a week one of you might light like to make a MS Word version of the files for the group to use. _cheesygrin::

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 12-20-2008 10:35 AM

Ruby_Soho Wrote:...but now ummmm off to figure out how to use this diary thingy sconfused

Opps that is my fault, I should eplain how the diaries work. Oops

Okay that is another task for tomorrow... 8)

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 12-22-2008 04:23 AM

The Ofear Emetophobia E-group How-To:

Part one

As you are no doubt aware, your emetophobia follows a pattern:

1. A fear of v****ing and/or seeing someone else v****
2. A reluctance to eat in case it causes one to v****
3. A fear of meeting people in case one of them are ill
4. A fear of becoming ill possibly combined with excessive hand washing. etc.

Enetophobics can go on for years without actually v****ing therefore the fear is, for the most part, an anticipatory fear. We bring our fears on in part by thoughts rather than actions and our minds build an increasing and complex mythos to protect use from our demons.

Why learning to relax is important – We cannot hope to battle our fears if we cannot think rationally about them, this is why IU as you first of all to choose a method of relaxation.

The Thought Diary – Most of us suppose to have a thought one must be thinking however, often our thoughts appear automatically and will go unchallenged. In the case of phobias and depression, we call these Negative Automatic Thoughts or NATs for short.

By first capturing these NATs as short statements, we can then rating them, on a scale of one to ten, as to how far we actually believe they are true. After we can have that information we then start looking at plausible alternatives, rating and rate those in the same way. Later in the therapy, I will explain how the structure of one’s thoughts can reveal hidden rules and believes that run our lives

The Food and Activities Diary – Are you getting enough food and exercise? For now all you have to do is write down what you eat and when and the same for your exercise. I will return to this part later.

The Ofear Emetophobia E-group Diary – this is a place to share your progress and temporary relapses with the group. I want you to look for the patterns that govern your lives from ‘safe foods’ to strange rituals designed to protect one from the fear.

I suggest you keep both in a loose-leaf folder (ring binder) along with a personal journal so that you can monitor your individual progress.

I hope that after Christmas I will introduce the concept of ‘visualisation’ so it is important that everyone has completed the weekly thought diary and at least started to learn a relation technique before going on. shappy

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 12-22-2008 05:04 AM

Ruby_Soho Wrote:Wave me again lol...just wanted to say sorry I havent quite started on this stuff yet. I am really excited to do it but Christmas brings a bit of chaos to my house so I am trying to get back to my normal lifestyle before starting up my diary if thats ok. thanks - Ashes

Yes that is fine Ashes, thank you for letting me know. shappy

Now you mention it I wonder if it is better for everyone if we start after Christmas. Am I the only humbug on Ofear, what does everyone else think? :laugh:

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - krisan - 12-22-2008 08:40 AM

hiya! i'm with ashes on this (though i am too a humbug at christmas even with two kids!!)

think i need to get back to "normal" and start right from the beginning! this is something i'm really excited about, it'll help knowing other people are doing the same thing. Though i must warn you that i'm totaly naff at technology and stuff so am a little slow to understand somethings!!

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - brothadan - 12-23-2008 03:18 PM

its too hard for me to enjoy christmas or each day with all these phobias and problems that i have! im ready to start whenever =[

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Barrucadu - 01-03-2009 10:19 PM

I've stickied this for you ssmile

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 01-04-2009 02:09 AM

Barrucadu Wrote:I've stickied this for you ssmile

Thank you shappy

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Shy guy - 01-13-2009 06:36 AM

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and start to the new year. happy7

...but now it is time to get back into the swing of things starting with this completely voluntary Ofear Emetophobia Survey _cheesygrin::

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - krisan - 01-15-2009 04:38 AM

i totaly agree! lets get this started xxxxxx

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - krisan - 01-22-2009 10:59 PM

hey all, just wondered if this had started yet and i'd missed it??????? could really use the focus right now, having bad times with the panic!!

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - Mr Ian - 01-22-2009 11:10 PM

Hi krisan

Shy Guy has some access problems this week but he should be back in a few days.

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - krisan - 01-22-2009 11:22 PM

thank you mr ian! am startin to freak out so thought now could be a good time and was worried i'd missed the start of the group!

Re: Ofear's Emetophobia E-group - sweetpea012607 - 10-24-2009 11:15 PM

Is the group still up and running?