oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum
New to the forums and scared out of my mind - Printable Version

+- oFear - Anxiety and Phobia Forum (http://www.ofear.com)
+-- Forum: List of Phobias (/f-list-of-phobias)
+--- Forum: Other phobias (/f-other-phobias)
+---- Forum: Emetophobia (/f-emetophobia)
+---- Thread: New to the forums and scared out of my mind (/t-new-to-the-forums-and-scared-out-of-my-mind)

New to the forums and scared out of my mind - dubchic528 - 12-16-2008 01:44 AM

Hi. My name is Michelle McCann. I am 28 years old and live in Palmyra, NJ USA. I have been suffering from Emetophobia for years, but it seems like it is getting worse then better. I have been going to a psychologist for three years now but it doesnt seem to be helping as much as I would have liked. This phobia controls my life and I can not figure out how to change that. My boyfriend and I live together. This past weekend he had a stomach virus. I moved out of the apartment and went to stay with my parents. I tried to go back to the apartment last night. I was there for 10 minutes and I felt like someone was choking me. I left and went back to my parents. I really need help. How do I live with this fear without letting it control my life? What are some ways that I can deal with this phobia without running from it? I hope that someone can help me. I am desperate.
:cry:

Re: New to the forums and scared out of my mind - Annie - 12-19-2008 02:06 PM

Hey sweetie. I'm sure I replied to this same post in another area, but just wanted to make sure. I'm 27 and emetophobic, and our situations sound very, very similar. If you ever wanna talk or need to, go for it. I can't offer any help except what's helped me, but nothing's "cured" me. I did find TimeLine therapy extremely helpful. Have you managed to stay a normal weight, or does the phobia affect your eating to the point that you've lost weight? I'm 5'11 and 105 pounds, so my main goal is to get back up to a healthy weight, and not have this phobia run my life.